duck emergency!

applebutter14

Songster
5 Years
Jun 8, 2014
Iowa
i have 3 call ducks, 2 boys and a girl, they are always happy together and friendly to each other. but today i went out to check on my poultry and and i noticed that one of my drakes cheek feather down to the bottom of his neck on his right side her gone, like they got pulled off, at 1st i assumed it was a little squabble between the ducks so i brought him inside to take a better look at it, then when i took him back outside i noticed something weird with my other call duck drake, so i picked him up ans his right eye was all pussy and cloudy and it was really gross to look at. and it turns out he is blind in that eye now. so im thinking that they got in a really bad fight but my question is is there any thing i can do to help Toby's eye? and what should i put on Olivers naked neck so he does'nt freeze? and they are always nipping each other now

You could try putting vaseline on the bald spot. I'm not sure about the eye injury, but I'm sure someone here can help :). I do think you should re-home one of your drakes or get more hens ASAP. Not only will they fight, but ducks get very sexually violent when there is too much competition for breeding, possibly going as far as killing the hen they're trying to mate. You need at the very least pairs, but ideally several more for two drakes

i separated the to drakes now. the one with the bad eye is inside because he is looking worse between the 2, i'm planning on getting him a mate when the weather warms up. i filled up our down stairs laundry room sink and let him swim in it, he really enjoyed it.

i separated the to drakes now. the one with the bad eye is inside because he is looking worse between the 2, i'm planning on getting him a mate when the weather warms up. i filled up our down stairs laundry room sink and let him swim in it, he really enjoyed it.
I've heard of people putting neosporin on infected eyes and eye injuries, but I'm not sure so don't quote me on that. You can make a saline solution by boiling 1/2 teaspoon of salt/cup of distilled water for 15 minutes. Allow it to cool and you can use it to wash out his eye. I wish I could help more and I hope he gets better soon!

Back
Top Bottom