Duck fail..need advice

trailrider20

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 10, 2011
I am new to ducks but have had chickens. This summer I sectioned off a part of a barn building to use as a duck coop. I cut the entry door (made one for people and one for the ducks). I built a duck run and made it predator proof and covered it, etc. The only negative is that to access the coop, the ducks need to go up a short ramp. So I brought home my 7 ducks on Saturday. They will not go anywhere near the ramp. They stay mostly in one corner of the run. They seem happy and healthy but they will not go up into the coop. Any ideas would be appreciated. I have surprised at how "scared" they are of me and anything new. They really have not used their pool either preferring the water dishes I have put out for them.

Hi there
Congrats on your new ducks.
My ducks have a shelter with no steps
But they still decide to sleep outside if it's raining.
Maybe you can place a few bricks and make a step instead of a ladder.
Remember ducks can't grasp onto things like hens so it's harder for them to get in with a ladder.
If they still don't go in you can round them up every night and put them in so they know where home is.
Remember ducks are water proof so if they stay out in the rain they will be fine.
Goodluck
Fionn.

Use treats any thing i want to teach my ducks to do i use treats
smile.png

My call ducks go up a very large ramp into the the chicken coop. Last year they would only go in the coop in the winter when it was in the teens. Other than that they wanted to stay out in my secure run.

This year though I have added some muscovy. The muscovy started following my head chicken into the coop at night. Now all my call ducks now follow the muscovy into the coop every night. So, my solution is - get some muscovy lol!

Thanks for the advice...I was wondering if putting a couple of chickens in the run with the ducks would help...this ramp I have is NOT very steep and it is maybe 3 ft. long. Chickens seem to be more inquisitive than my ducks.

What type of treats do you use besides cracked corn? My ducks are so afraid of me they run to the other side of the run when I come in.
sad.png

I want them to go inside at night because of predators. My duck run is secure but because it is so large, I had to use netting for the top which is NOT secure. I had to build a temporary pen for nighttime with a metal roof, sides etc inside the big run just for safety...and I can lure them into that for the night but I sure wish they would use the coop I made.

I want them to go inside at night because of predators. My duck run is secure but because it is so large, I had to use netting for the top which is NOT secure. I had to build a temporary pen for nighttime with a metal roof, sides etc inside the big run just for safety...and I can lure them into that for the night but I sure wish they would use the coop I made.
You maybe on to something place a few chickens inside with them and let them teach the ducks where home and safety is. It may take a week or more maybe not. I use dried meal worms to get my birds to do anything I ask I whistle and shake the can and here they come running. Your ducks will feel better and relaxed soon it just takes some time for them to feel at home. Bring them their treats and talk softly to them they will get use to you and everything else soon. My ducks also love water melon, tomatoes, shredded Romaine lettuce just a few other things they get.

Unless your Ducks are used too chickens?? Mine attack my chickens all the time...And were both only a few weeks apart in age and at first shared a separated chicken coop...Not no more.....
Leave things as it is...I would try steps..Mine use steps not ramps.
As for being scared of you and the pool, that will take time. Soon enough they will adjust.

Back
Top Bottom