Duck falling onto her chest with feet straight back. Please Help!!

Nightwind83

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
Maine
One of my buff runner girls came out of her house this morning falling onto her front with her legs streched straight out behind her. She will keep trying to move forward but end back up like this. I seperated her and checked her legs and found nothing odd except when the leg is moved forward her foot curls up. She is bright and alert and eating and drinking otherwise. Later this after noon she is standing, but is wobbly and after a few slow steps she will fall again. Does anyone have any ideas on what could have happened? Thanks!

This morning she is able to stand and take a few steps still but still falls when she tries to walk. I don't think she was bit by anything, I looked all over her and didn't find anything odd and there isin't anything near the pen they can eat that poinsonous. I was wondering if maybe one of the males might have done something to her when they tries to mate?? Or possibly when she got in or out of the pool?

She could be injured or is having a deficiency in something. I would check her over for anything swollen, and up her b vitamins (by putting crushed up niacin or brewer's yeast in her food). You can also give her a spa treatment (in other words, put her in a luke warm tub for a half and hour to give her legs a break. You can also soak her legs in an epsom salt bath. I recommend using a bucket or small tub filled with just enough to cover her joints, and then hold her and watch her to make sure she doesn't drink the epsom salt water).

Back
Top Bottom