Duck falling over

ajones28650

Chirping
Jun 12, 2021
North Carolina
I have a 3 month old appleyard that was fine one minute then I looked over again and she/he was flipped on it’s back. We picked it up to check it out and it was a little lethargic. Brought it inside, gave electrolytes and some peas and water and it perked back up. This was Sunday evening. This has happened at least 3 more times since.

- we mix niacin in food twice a week
- ducks get vegetables a few times a week
- they are in a controlled, fenced area
- we clean pools weekly, fresh water daily
- 20 total ducks, only this one duck affected

I’ve done some reading online and can’t figure out myself what it might be. Figured I’d come to the experts and see if y’all have any advice?

I have a 3 month old appleyard that was fine one minute then I looked over again and she/he was flipped on it’s back. We picked it up to check it out and it was a little lethargic. Brought it inside, gave electrolytes and some peas and water and it perked back up. This was Sunday evening. This has happened at least 3 more times since.

- we mix niacin in food twice a week
- ducks get vegetables a few times a week
- they are in a controlled, fenced area
- we clean pools weekly, fresh water daily
- 20 total ducks, only this one duck affected

I’ve done some reading online and can’t figure out myself what it might be. Figured I’d come to the experts and see if y’all have any advice?
Botulism poisoning? Any chance she got into some decaying animal or plant material or food?

I think that my 3 month old Cayuga hen has the same thing. I found her on her back kicking, she was laying down a lot and seemed to be hiding and not with the flock. Then having some seizure like episodes with wild flapping while on her belly (seemed like she couldn't control it) and would then seem a bit dazed after. I don't know what is going on either. Very hard to watch. But it comes and goes. She seems fine and then very not.

Back
Top Bottom