Duck feed in a cold climate

QuailCrestFarms

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2016
I moved my flock from an area of mild weather (nothing under 50) to an area that snows 1-2 weeks during the winter.

I have one pen of 7 ducks and a pen of 30+ hens with my duck that was being beat up on. Should I make dietary changes for the seasons? It is also 10-20 degrees hotter in the summer. Is there anything I should feed/avoid? I plan on having lights on during winter. Also I know you can feed some cat food sparingly to chickens, is it the same for ducks?

Last edited:
Yes, cat food is fine as a supplement, and snow for 1-2 weeks? Not cold at all. You don't have to adjust their diet at all.
I have 2-3 feet of snow, 6 months a year. Try that for "cold".

There is some variation in how ducks do. Depends on the breed, the number of ducks, and the individuals.

The main thing I do is watch them. If they are shivering, hunkering down, walking stiff-legged, necks scrunched, they are too cold.

I feed some cat kibble at various times. Year 'round I let them have food with water 24/7. The night pen stays above 40F, because I have several Runners who are not cold hardy.

Keeping their quarters dry, without drafts yet well ventilated (perhaps the biggest paradox in duck care), good food, fresh water, nice bedding, are some of the basics.

I live in Montana and we got a decent amount of snow last year as well as plenty of chilly weather. The ducks hardly ever went into the nice warm house with a deep layer of bedding. They chose to stay out in the run and sleep on the frozen ground. They absolutely loved eating snow and bits of ice. It was like the best treats ever. They'd go stand on their frozen kiddie pool and yell at me to break the ice so they could swim. Here's my Muscovy enjoying an ice bath.

Back
Top Bottom