Duck feeder trouble

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sodamancer, Nov 15, 2013.

1. sodamancer

sodamancer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2012
    PNW
    I have a poultry feeder that i have been using for the ducks. They are making a terrible mess with it and wasting ALOT of feed. I think it may be because their bills keep getting stuck. So what do ya'll use to feed your ducks? Pics are great. I am handy but try to keep things simple if possible.
    Thanks in advance

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Poultry feeders are not designed for ducks, you have found that out, some people use these http://www.amazon.com/Miller-Manufa...=1384519435&sr=8-2&keywords=rubber+feed+bowls other make long deep feeders out of scrap wood. what ever you use keep it where it stays dry. I use goat feeders I got a TSC they work great and because they have metal cover so they can only stick their heads into it I don't have to worry about the chickens getting in and scratching the feed out either.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I use these for the big flock. They have lids too...

[​IMG]

4. sodamancer

sodamancer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2012
    PNW
    Thanks. I have a couple of those rubber tubs. Poor duckies. I only have 6 and hopefully soon will only have 4.

5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I use recycled lids that used to be on the tanks of water softeners and I have used plastic dish pans and brand new unused oil pans from the dollar store too. I had cut holes in the bottom of a 5 gal bucket and placed that into the aforementioned containers to make a home built version of the feeder GQ showed you there. I did stop using that after I went to FF bcz the holes didn't work all that well for the soft liquidy nature of FF.

6. inkedlady

inkedlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    Stoke-on-Trent. Uk
    I use two washing up bowls (the ones u wash plates n stuff in the sink)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by