DUCK FEEDING

Nov 18, 2023
So I am seriously considering getting my first batch of ducklings, and I was wondering if I should offer them free choice feed like I do with my hens, or feed them in the mornings and evenings. I can't find any info anywhere on it!!
Also, I have a VERY small spring fed pond (that is about 6ft by 5 ft) and is home to frogs and pond skaters. I am in the northeast, and I was wondering if the pond would be safe for the ducks if properly predator proofed. My main concern was water bacteria. will this be an issue?
Thanks!!

Ducks can eat free choice. They need more niacin in their food than chickens, so try to find duck-specific food, and depending on the breed or particular duck, you may need to add even more, for proper leg development. I think your pond should be fine if it's predator proof, unless it has too much algae or gross stuff that grows on it in the summer. Make sure you have predator proof housing, and train them to come off the pond into housing when you want...that is if you're planning to free-range them at the pond. Where I live I could never free-range my ducks unless I am supervising because there are predators on land and in the air.

Back
Top Bottom