Duck Feet problems - Never seen anything like it - Help!

I agree that it sounds like a snapper. I had a duck that lost half of his foot... All my other ducks were fine. We put a trap out in the water and caught a huge snapper. We have caught many snappers over the years. So frustrating trying to protect your ducks from everything!

That would make a lot of sense with the surrounding scenery were the spring house is. I am going to do some looking around when I get home!

Yes, snapping turtles could have done this. I really hope that he will heal up and that others won't end up like this. Pls know that we are here to help. Keep us posted.

I thought about the idea of a bacterial infection as well. Still doing some research on that!

I looked around as well as my boyfriend and we found no turtles nor any sign of turtles.

After looking at the duck yesterday when I got home I noticed he lost another toe. When looking closely at them my boyfriend pointed out that the toe that is missing was red at the end but was already healed over which I thought was strange due to it being on the night before. So after researching again
caf.gif
...I think the duck had frost bite on its feet. I know ducks normally don't get frostbite on their feet but a couple weeks ago we had very cold weather, with the wind chill it was about -10 for a couple days. All my Muscovy ducks love to hang out in the water and sometimes are stubborn as can be about going into the coop at night and leaving their water spot. Those couple nights as I am running around in the snow and cold weather trying to get them in the coop they started flying everywhere and after an hour I gave up. I was causing more of a mess then helping. His webbing was black when it started to cut and peel and I just thought that was the colors on his feet cause the dad duck has black feet. Then after looking at this toes yesterday all his black toes and black webbing are gone. He has one black toe left and one yellow toe left so I am waiting to see if he losing the black toe to prove my theory.

Will keep you updated!

I thought about the idea of a bacterial infection as well. Still doing some research on that!

I looked around as well as my boyfriend and we found no turtles nor any sign of turtles.

After looking at the duck yesterday when I got home I noticed he lost another toe. When looking closely at them my boyfriend pointed out that the toe that is missing was red at the end but was already healed over which I thought was strange due to it being on the night before. So after researching again
caf.gif
...I think the duck had frost bite on its feet. I know ducks normally don't get frostbite on their feet but a couple weeks ago we had very cold weather, with the wind chill it was about -10 for a couple days. All my Muscovy ducks love to hang out in the water and sometimes are stubborn as can be about going into the coop at night and leaving their water spot. Those couple nights as I am running around in the snow and cold weather trying to get them in the coop they started flying everywhere and after an hour I gave up. I was causing more of a mess then helping. His webbing was black when it started to cut and peel and I just thought that was the colors on his feet cause the dad duck has black feet. Then after looking at this toes yesterday all his black toes and black webbing are gone. He has one black toe left and one yellow toe left so I am waiting to see if he losing the black toe to prove my theory.

Will keep you updated!
i would think that frostbite is the problem then, black generally means dead tissue if they werent black before

if you pinch or tickle it it would have no response

Last edited:
I have a blue splash Swedish duckling who has a front claw that's hanging by the tip of his toe. I was holding him when he kicked his feet up and got caught on my sweatshirt and when I sat him down I noticed blood and realized he had ripped his claw out... it's still bleeding in small amounts and I'm going to move him to another enclosed pen so he isn't walking on it a lot but is there anything anyone else suggests I do with his foot besides the blood stopper ??? I cant really protect his foot with wrapping of any sort since it wont cover the toe or will catch it.....And does anyone suggest I take the nail off or leave it alone??

I have a blue splash Swedish duckling who has a front claw that's hanging by the tip of his toe. I was holding him when he kicked his feet up and got caught on my sweatshirt and when I sat him down I noticed blood and realized he had ripped his claw out... it's still bleeding in small amounts and I'm going to move him to another enclosed pen so he isn't walking on it a lot but is there anything anyone else suggests I do with his foot besides the blood stopper ??? I cant really protect his foot with wrapping of any sort since it wont cover the toe or will catch it.....And does anyone suggest I take the nail off or leave it alone??
corn starch or kwik stop styptic powder should stop the blood, as far as removal its up to you and how bad it is
i would remove if barely hanging on, hard to say

I've used the powder and it did stop the bleeding and I got him to settle down so he isn't as active so I'm not seeing blood.. I'm just going to wait and see.. thank you !!

Back
Top Bottom