Duck foot and leg issue help help help

That bumble doesn't look to bad in that pic. Hopefully just some soaking will loosen the scab and once off not much there. the ES will help with swelling and inflammation too.
Great. Thanks so much for looking at my post!! Started the Epsom salts soaks and meloxicam this am and he was already starting to bare alittle weigh on his good leg. Liquid b injected into watermelon and slept on a pillow to elevated his leg overnight. Looked less swollen this morning. He is resting in a dog crate with pine shavings while he is not being monitored in the large area with the other ducks.

Looks like he has bumble foot too? He could have stumbled or tripped over something ducks can be pretty clumsy. I’d def get vet help if you can. Sprains can take a long time to heal. If that’s what it is then rest, water therapy and meloxicam (vet) can help. Also for support I’d get the liquid BComplex from TSC and begin giving that to him. Great for leg health. It will say injectable but just peel off the foil and use a dropper to put 1 ml over a tasty treat. Just enough treat he’ll get full dose. I’d do this 2Xa day. Ducks are amazing in healing hopefully with so TLC Olaf will be on the mend very soon. The Liquid B Complex is in the cattle dept.
IMG_0251.JPG

Ok so here is an updated picture of his foot. May be a tiny scabbed area. I will grab some Epsom's salt and soak him starting tomorrow.
Also I found metacam 1.5mg/ml so if my guy weighs 8lbs or 3.6kg and he takes 0.25mg/kgI think he would need 0.9mg. This is liquid should I use. Feeding tube. I have 6.5f how far do you place it??
Sorry so many questions.
since you may have access to them, if you can get an angiocath sheath and luer lock it onto a syringe I find that works just awesome for giving liquid meds

I bought the one on the right. He doesn’t love taking it for sure the meloxicam is not as bad. I do have access. I will grab it tonight when I work.
that's great. I got mine from some cath lab supplies that had expired. They were 14ga in some angio kits of some kind. I'm really really glad I saved them and now I wish I had more. I did cut off a bit of the sheath so that it wasn't quite so long and easier to direct into the right mouth "hole".

Anesthesia should have something like it too and it doesn't have to be as long as the ones I have. Since you are "shopping" for supplies if you are in a big hospital and have any OR connections see if you can get them to save you some red rubber catheters that you can use for feeding tubes too. Various sizes! They are always expiring so should be easy to come by. When I think of all the ones I threw out I could just scream! Who knew I'd have ducks!
IMG_0217.JPG

The bottles of B are both the same, they just changed the label. I hate the smell of it so I don't imagine it tastes very good either but it's sure good for them!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom