Duck force feed help

Sometimes I believe in miracles. I have not seen her eating food for about 6 days now. Today after I came home, tried to give her peas, but she showed little interrest so the other ducks ate all. I was sad and ready to come back to get some fresh water for them (it is freezing cold here). To my surprise, she went to the food bowel and took a couple scoops. I cannot say for sure she ate some but that was a thing I have not seen for many days. God Bless.

Tonight when I give her medications, I will still mix some baby food with some raw egg (maybe 1/4 of an egg?). Just to make sure she she has the energy to fight the condition and let the medications do their things.

I have two 100-W ceramic bulbs in their duck house so the house is above freezing point. I also have a 125W heating lamp above one of their water buckets in the pen. Normally I do not use the heating bulbs until it is much colder here but I just want to have a piece of mind so she can fight through this.

Progress is being made and I sure hope it will continue.

Thank you all, kind people.

BTW, here is their living quarter.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/duck-house

The duck mentioned in this thread (Her mame is "A Rong") is in one of the pictures that has three ducks in it. We have two Pekings and one Cayuga. They are all females. (What probability)
So happy to hear she is feeling some better, your set up is beautiful.

At 7:30 PM, I took some peas and put them into the duck house from the pen. A Rong took a couple more scoops of the feed!

These days, I am keeping all three ducks in the pen during the day. The two healthy ones really wanted to go out but I want them to be with A Rong.

On Monday when we returned from the Vet, A Rong was in a plastic bin. As I approached the pen, the two other ducks called and A Rong suddenly stood up. She wants to be with her other friends.

At 8, we gave the medications with apple source plus baby food with egg york. Total 30 CCs and I can tell her crop is kind of full. After that, she took some water and went under one of the heating bulbs and ready to sleep. That has been their routine during the winter.

She did walk very slowly.

Thank you for all your concerns and encouragements.

Last edited:
She made some more improvements this morning, Ate some peas from me and then some of her feed. I sure hope she recovers. Going to feed her medication and a little baby fd with egg york now.

Thanks,

She made some more improvements this morning, Ate some peas from me and then some of her feed. I sure hope she recovers. Going to feed her medication and a little baby fd with egg york now.

Thanks,
Sounds good, meds must be working!! Hope she continues to improve and is her old self real soon. Your taking wonderful care of her. Just remember don't try to over feed her let her dictate when she wants to eat and how much. Keep it there for her when she wants it though. Thanks for the update.
thumbsup.gif

Another happier update.

She keeps improving. It was an unusually warm day here in Michigan and we reached mid-40's. The other two ducks wanted to come out really bad to swim in the pond so I opened the pen. To my surprise, A Rong followed and went into the pond. I did not want to leave them there for long because the other two always mount on A Rong (all three are females but A Rong is the weakest). After a bout 5 minutes, I got some peas and called them back to the pen and A Rong got out of the pond and walked back. A little slower than her usual pace but much faster than yesterday. So she got a nice swim and bath. It was quite a way from the pen to the pond, about 250 ft.

I also used a shovel to turn over some soil and she even got some earthworms. She ate the feed today many times that I saw.

I am so happy that she is saved, at least for the time-being. I saw her as the same happy duck as usual this afternoon.

Thank you all.

We still have ways to go. We need to continue to give her medications, the baby bird formula (just to give her a little extra nutrition and energy), and our love and care. On monday, she was only 5.5 lbs and that is light for a peking.

Last edited:
Another happier update.

She keeps improving. It was an unusually warm day here in Michigan and we reached mid-40's. The other two ducks wanted to come out really bad to swim in the pond so I opened the pen. To my surprise, A Rong followed and went into the pond. I did not want to leave them there for long because the other two always mount on A Rong (all three are females but A Rong is the weakest). After a bout 5 minutes, I got some peas and called them back to the pen and A Rong got out of the pond and walked back. A little slower than her usual pace but much faster than yesterday. So she got a nice swim and bath. It was quite a way from the pen to the pond, about 250 ft.

I also used a shovel to turn over some soil and she even got some earthworms. She ate the feed today many times that I saw.

I am so happy that she is saved, at least for the time-being. I saw her as the same happy duck as usual this afternoon.

Thank you all.

We still have ways to go. We need to continue to give her medications, the baby bird formula (just to give her a little extra nutrition and energy), and our love and care. On monday, she was only 5.5 lbs and that is light for a peking.
Wonderful news... praying she continues in this direction...
fl.gif

She continues to improve. I am so happy for her. She eats almost like normal now but is still a little thin, tired, and slow. We have half the medications left so there is still ways to go. With every day passing by, she is doing better and better.

Thanks.

She continues to improve. I am so happy for her. She eats almost like normal now but is still a little thin, tired, and slow. We have half the medications left so there is still ways to go. With every day passing by, she is doing better and better.

Thanks.
No wonder I couldn't find your post to ask about her I was looking in the duck thread. So happy to hear of the improvement. Keep up the TLC, I'm sure she knows she is loved.

Back
Top Bottom