Duck got snatched by a fox:(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mcpumphrey, Oct 13, 2016.

1. mcpumphrey

mcpumphrey Just Hatched

Jul 9, 2016
    One of my two pekin ducks got snatched by a fox yesterday at dusk. The other duck seems to be fine but I am worried she will get lonely. Does anyone only own 1 duck? I don't want her to be alone I am heartbroken!

2. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    I would recommend getting her a new companion as soon as possible. Ducks can get lonely and even depressed without a friend. Some people do keep just one duck on its own, but you have to spend A LOT of time with them.

Sorry for your loss.

1 person likes this.
  3. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Sorry for the loss. I agree with the previous poster, you should look into another duck asap, and provide a mirror if you can in the mean time.

Keeping a single duck is ill-advised.

Since you have a female, you may be able to find an adult male easily, but generally you'll want to have a few females per male. There's a sub-forum here for Buy/Sell/Trades and you may be able to find a local sale group on facebook specifically re: poultry or livestock.

Good luck in your search!

1 person likes this.
  4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    SOrry to hear that! gosh, i know that feeling all to well i had one come through the farm this late summer and take a few ducks and chickens... As all have said ducks are flock animals so most definitely get another.

I am fortunate i have many here so while it shakes the flock up, they tend to move on fairly quickly. Good Luck!

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yes, if you go the drake route i would highly recommend more females too, IME Pekin drakes are over bearing... at least mine is.

6. laurita1510

laurita1510 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2015
    UK
    So sorry for your loss! I lost one to a fox last month. Definitely get more. In fact I think 3 or 4 is a great number so if anything happens to one they won't be alone and if one needs quarantine you can sepirate without problems

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by