1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck Had 'Hard/Crispy' Windpipe

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by WillJMA, Nov 12, 2015.

1. WillJMA

WillJMA Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2015
    Hi Guys,

This morning was the time where my two Aylesbury/Moscovy ducks were to be 'dispatched'. After plucking i was removing the innards and pulled out the windpipe and voice box on one of my ducks and the windpipe and voicebox itself were hard, dry and 'crispy'.

When i squeezed it it cracked like an egg shell. Very odd. The other duck was perfectly normal.

I had noticed when the duck was alive and tried to quack it let out just a whispy breath. Anyone had any experiences like this?

2. nhrocks

nhrocks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    Barnstead NH
    Sounds like you discovered the anatomical difference between the larynx of males and females. Male ducks have that enlargment, and it is hard and crackly. The loud female quackers lack this feature.

I've only seen this in mallard derived breeds, not muscovies. Sounds like your hybrids inherited mallard anatomy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by