Duck had leg amputation

So sorry for your Saga! I get it right she got surgery? Hooks' wound is healing good and the vet said we have to give her antibiotics for a week and painkillers for four days. And no swimming! which makes her sad. But just 2 more days!

It's amazing how quick they adapt. She was standing after just a day and I can hardly get her out of her bench because she will fly out. She's an escape artist

Will your Saga regain full use of her leg? Ducklings can be very mean to each other, especially when there is one smaller they don't see as a sibling. They are still cute though. My vet was really nice he suggested to take her to a wildlife center but I said I wanted to treat her myself. The bill wasn't even 50 euro, the other vet clinic charges that for merely seeing your pet
Saga is doing great!!!! Sorry, was super busy with these crazy gals the last few weeks! She healed up great. Still is separated from her sisters, but they talk to each other all the time and they can peek over their enclose to say hello to her...its super cute and I think she will get back in the group just fine.
Also, I have been giving her little swim each day, which she LOVES and its great water therapy for her leg strength! Of course, I didn't start that until the vet OK'd it...
How is your little one doing? Has she returned to say hello?

Saga is doing great!!!! Sorry, was super busy with these crazy gals the last few weeks! She healed up great. Still is separated from her sisters, but they talk to each other all the time and they can peek over their enclose to say hello to her...its super cute and I think she will get back in the group just fine.
Also, I have been giving her little swim each day, which she LOVES and its great water therapy for her leg strength! Of course, I didn't start that until the vet OK'd it...
How is your little one doing? Has she returned to say hello?

Good to hear Saga is doing so well! I hope she can join her sisters soon. Do you have any pictures?

I saw Hooks today, after about a week. She was laying in the grass with her sister Mini Me and a drake. He was molting so I'm not sure if it was Hooks' or Mini Me's partner. So she's doing good :D

Of all days for BYC to go offline, right?

One of the ducks that live in my neigborhood showed up with an injuried leg. I could capture her and took her to the vet. That was last Thursday. The vet said her leg is broken above the ankle and he would probably have to amputate it. Because her leg was all limp and not responding to anything. He operated her on Saturday and we have to give her medicine for a week.

Anyways, her name is Hooks, and she isn't even a year old. I'm so sad to see one of my babies hurt. Will she be happy again? Will she be okay on just one leg? :hit She is lively and super mad when she gets her medicine (she HATES being touched by people) so she does have her spirit!

I will have to get on a computer to upload pictures.
How did the amputation go? Did your duck do okay with the surgery?
I'm in a situation with my female Pekin who has been diagnosed with osteomyelitis and the vet is recommending euthanization. She is an otherwise happy duck doing all her duck things but with a horrible limp.

Back
Top Bottom