Duck has labored breathing

To me, she looks ok now, but I would wait to hear from @casportpony to make sure... maybe she got a bit of water where she shouldn't have or a piece of food had gotten stuck?
If she continues to be alert, eats, drinks and is active tomorrow, I think she will be ok...

Last edited:
She's definitely much better than she was before. I can still see a slight chest heave, but it's not as pronounced as it was before and she's no longer making that raspy noise with the bill constantly opening that she was doing earlier. That's what freaked me out. I'd never heard her do that before.

A million thanks for your responses!!

Thanks, Chickens really! I tear up their lettuce and try and get the lettuce ribs out, but maybe a few slipped in. She's better this morning and very chatty. I see her breathing is fine.

It was a real reminder of how much I've grown to love my ducks. I love all animals, but I think I'm turning into a duck person!

Thanks, Chickens really! I tear up their lettuce and try and get the lettuce ribs out, but maybe a few slipped in. She's better this morning and very chatty. I see her breathing is fine.

It was a real reminder of how much I've grown to love my ducks. I love all animals, but I think I'm turning into a duck person!
Here is a tip....Drop the lettuce into a bowl of water...They never chock on it that way and all washes down...

To me, she looks ok now, but I would wait to hear from @casportpony to make sure... maybe she got a bit of water where sye shouldn't have or a piece of food had gotten stuck?
If she continues to be alert, eats, drinks and is active tomorrow, I think she will be ok...
To me it still looks a little labored. I just checked and compared her video to one I have in a crate and it's does look labored compared to his.

How is she this morning?

Thanks, Casportpony! She seems fine this morning. I see a teeny bit of chest heaving, but she seems fine. She's eating well and is active. No lethargy that I can see of. Her breathing does seem to have gotten better since last night when I first noticed it. I'll keep an eye on her, but I am less worried now than I was yesterday.

Chickens Really, I actually do give them all their greens/veggies in a deep receptacle of water. They love being able to fish them out of the water and go crazy trying to pick up the pieces. I do notice that occasionally they'll drop bits and pieces on the ground, which they'll later retrieve when they've finished everything in the receptacle.

Thanks, Casportpony! She seems fine this morning. I see a teeny bit of chest heaving, but she seems fine. She's eating well and is active. No lethargy that I can see of. Her breathing does seem to have gotten better since last night when I first noticed it. I'll keep an eye on her, but I am less worried now than I was yesterday.
Glad she is better. Sometimes I see this in mine when they are getting ready to lay, so watch for that.

If she gets worse again you might want to think about taking her to a vet. Luckily for you, you have a great avian vet nearby: http://www.medicalcenterforbirds.com/

Back
Top Bottom