Duck has problems with walking...?

Oh, hurray!! I'm glad the niacin fixed the problem! And I agree--if the bread gets the niacin down and it helps, then go for it. I'm going to keep that in mind if I ever have an acute case of deficiency--a larger dose taken on bread may do the trick.
smile.png

Congrats, and thanks for posting so we could hear the good news.
smile.png

I am having the same issue with nonwalking WH. I have started her on electrolytes with vitamins and brewers yeast 5 days ago and have not seen much change. I am fearfull of overdosing the little thing, and since I have not seen much change I think I have been to cautious and plan to increase the vitamins. She is alert, eating, and does her share of talking, but is waddling on her whole legs and her webs are folded up. Keeping the fingers crossed for all of us.

Hello,

I know this thread is from a few years ago, but I have a Pekin drake with the same problem and had a question about it. My drake is about a year old, and has a couple of other medical issues, so would adding Niacin to his diet still be effective? Due to his medical issues, we have been keeping him inside the house in an enclosed area covered with towels, and he goes outside to the grass every couple of days. Every day or so we give him a bath. He has always had a mild to moderate limp, however it seems as though it was just after his last bath that his limp became a severe hobble. Any suggestions?

His diet is All-Natural waterfowl food, plus scratch and a little oyster shell as he shares a pen and food with two girls. However, our caretaker was giving them chicken layer food with no scratch while we were out of town, and so we just got them back on their normal waterfowl layer and scratch diet a few days ago. Could it have been the sudden infusion of scratch that caused an acute niacin deficiency?

Thanks, and I'm glad your duck Nitrile got better!

(edited to add more information)

Last edited:
Hello,

I know this thread is from a few years ago, but I have a Pekin drake with the same problem and had a question about it. My drake is about a year old, and has a couple of other medical issues, so would adding Niacin to his diet still be effective? Due to his medical issues, we have been keeping him inside the house in an enclosed area covered with towels, and he goes outside to the grass every couple of days. Every day or so we give him a bath. He has always had a mild to moderate limp, however it seems as though it was just after his last bath that his limp became a severe hobble. Any suggestions?

His diet is All-Natural waterfowl food, plus scratch and a little oyster shell as he shares a pen and food with two girls. However, our caretaker was giving them chicken layer food with no scratch while we were out of town, and so we just got them back on their normal waterfowl layer and scratch diet a few days ago. Could it have been the sudden infusion of scratch that caused an acute niacin deficiency?

Thanks, and I'm glad your duck Nitrile got better!

(edited to add more information)
welcome-byc.gif
I don't see how trying some niacin could hurt. Sratch is mostly thought of as a treat so going with out it for a few days I doubt brought this on. It may take a little longer to notice improvement so don't give up if you don't see any in the first week. and daily water therapy would be good too, help build his muscles. not alot of running around though till hs walkiing has improved in case it's an injury.

Okay, thanks so much! I gave him some niacin and it seems like he's already a tiny bit better, and I'll up his vitamins a little bit and keep with the daily baths. Hopefully it'll work!

Thanks!
smile.png

Hi my name is Maria I have a duke that is having the same problem could u tell me hoe much vitamins to give her an how many times, I also went an bought niacin 500 mg how much of that my vet is on vacation for two weeks Thank yo for your help. My email is [email protected] if u need an thank u so much again

Hi my name is Maria I have a duke that is having the same problem could u tell me hoe much vitamins to give her an how many times, I also went an bought niacin 500 mg how much of that my vet is on vacation for two weeks Thank yo for your help. My email is [email protected] if u need an thank u so much again
@ranbarger Welcome to BYC

Did you get plain niacin? it is important it be plain not time released or flush free. If it's 500 mgs then break it in half crush the half and mix into 1 gal of water mix it real well or it will end up on the bottom of the container. Give this treatment daily till the ducklings are 10 weeks old. What kind of vitamins did you buy? If your duckling is still young mix up the niacin and water and pour into what ever you use to give them their drinking water in.
Maria how old is your duck?

Back
Top Bottom