Duck hatching baby chickens!

asfalothgem

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 2, 2007
I have a duck that showed up behind my house a couple of years ago, so we took her in and we think she is probably a wild duck but she wanted to be with our ducks so we took her in. Ever since she has wanted to be a mother 24/7. one year she hatched about 8 ducklings in january! Way to cold for babies, all of them died except for one, which we kept and he was beautiful! he was black but had a shiny green gloss he also had white feathers because his daddy was white but anyway. This duck has also hatched one of our chickens, we named the chicken stuart, she is a very good hen. The other day i found this duck sitting on a huge nest of eggs. So i pulled out all the duck eggs and found that the chickens had laid in her nest as well. There are 5 or 6 chicken eggs in there. We decided that we wanted some more chickens so i'm letting her sit on them. Because our chickens don't want to sit on them this duck is. Has anyone ever had a duck hatch chickens before? She is like a foster mother to them!

awww what a sweet duckie... good luck... and please post pics... that would be neat to see.

Also you mentioned the black with a shinny green... that almost sounds like a Kauga... we have two of them.

You are so lucky... I want baby duckies... but mine are only 16 weeks... so I know I wont be getting any for a while... at least I dont think... I have been trying to find out when they lay and all that info... but unfortunetly cant find the info... ugggg

A warning...once the chicken chicks hatch, you need to be very watchful. Mama Duck will not know they are not ducks and WILL try to teach them to swim if she has half a chance. Then your chicks will drown.
So unless you can absolutely be sure she has no access to water beyond a waterer (this incudes bowls) you might want to take the chicken chicks away from her.

I have a chick my Muscovey hatched. I have two female mucovies and they have brooded all summer, I bought a young male muscovey so next year they can hatch some of thier own eggs.

Oh my I had no idea. I thought she would be able to tell the difference between a duck and a chicken! Thanks for the warning. Although I was going to take them away from her anyway. I want them to think i am their mother so they will be friendly like the baby she hatched a couple years ago. She hatched out a lovely hen and the hen follows me around! LOL.
Also all of these babies will be half silky bantam. One of the moms is an EE and one is a black sexlink and i'm not sure what the hen that loves me is. They are going to be so cute i hope they have fluffy feet like their daddy.

They incubation times for chicks and ducks are different, so you'll need to take the chickies if you want her to keep sitting on the duck eggs. I think its 28 days for the ducks.

This is my duck with her two chicks she hatched.. she is sooo broody the poor thing would set a rock I think.. she has set on and off for mths.. I gave her those eggs because we dont have a drake and sitting her eggs were pointless.. never thought she would hatch them.. I took the babies after about a week...

duckschicks008.jpg

Back
Top Bottom