Duck hatching eggs in/near Richmond, VA

SailorV

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2021
Hi all - I’m new to the hatching world and am looking for someone relatively local that may have fertilized duck eggs I can pick up. I recently ordered 6 eggs from Texas via Etsy. 1 was smashed upon delivery, and none of the remaining hatched. 1 was a dud, 1 developed a blood ring, and 3 simply stopped developing by day 12. No veins, nothing. I think they had saddle air sacs? I’m wondering how much was shipping shock and how much I messed up that caused the failure.

I’m incubating in a homemade cardboard box incubator with a 25 watt bulb, a digital thermometer, and some wet rags to maintain a decent level of humidity. I cover the top with towels and make sure to turn the eggs 4ish times a day. The eggs did have some dirt/brown stuff stuck on the shell, as well as the dried remnants of the smashed egg, but the seller said they’d be fine. The humidity the first couple days wouldn’t get above 39% but by day 4 it was at a consistent 55%. The temperature hit 103F one night somehow but it wasn’t for more than 2 hours. It mostly hovered around 100F after that.

Any advice or eggs appreciated!

I'm in Bluefield (southern WV/southwest VA) and have fertile duck eggs available. Mainly dutch hookbill at the moment, though my khakis, runners, and pekins should start laying soon so I'll have barnyard mix eggs as well (all my drakes are hookbills so only the mother's breed will vary). Not sure how close you are to me though... I don't know the geography of the Virginias super well.

Judging by the hatch-along you posted (which reminded me to respond here lol), your incubator is probably full, but if you want some later and are father away, I'm driving to Norfolk for vacation in June and could meet you along the way.

Hi I saw you have Dutch hookbills and I was wondering if you still have them available?
I'm in Bluefield (southern WV/southwest VA) and have fertile duck eggs available. Mainly dutch hookbill at the moment, though my khakis, runners, and pekins should start laying soon so I'll have barnyard mix eggs as well (all my drakes are hookbills so only the mother's breed will vary). Not sure how close you are to me though... I don't know the geography of the Virginias super well.

Judging by the hatch-along you posted (which reminded me to respond here lol), your incubator is probably full, but if you want some later and are father away, I'm driving to Norfolk for vacation in June and could meet you along the way.
hi I saw you keep Dutch hookbills and I was wondering if you still keep them?

Back
Top Bottom