Duck having seizure!?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wornoutmomto3, Dec 6, 2014.

1. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have a lot of questions. First is can ducks have seizure disorders? One of my male Pekins (about 9 months old) started acting weird the other day and everyday since then. He will stop, stand up almost perfectly straight, bend his neck at a 90* angle, tuck his tail, slowly spread his wings (like he is trying to balance himself)(the wing tips will actually touch the ground), and finally he will bend over until his beak hits the ground. After a few seconds he will sit down, fluff out his feathers and continue about his day as if nothing happened. I've seen him do this about 3-4 times a day for about four days. Do I have to be concerned about this? My DH will be culling the excess male ducks at the end of the month. Should I add him to the list? I don't really want to, as the kids have become attached to him. I also don't want him to be suffering either.

Speaking of males is there an earlier detection method besides tale feathers and voice? I noticed something interesting on my first clutch that wasn't on me second clutch.
    [​IMG]
    This cluster of feathers was very prominent on the first clutch which seem to all be male. There may be one female, but they are only 2.5 months old and the tale feathers are only starting to curl. On the second clutch they were still there just less visible. The second clutch is only about a month old, so we are still waiting on them to reveal their gender. I was just curious if anyone else had more experience with this.

2. wornoutmomto3

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have been watching the ducks four about three hours this afternoon. I noticed that the episodes only seem to happen on land. I took some pictures of his last episode.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes ducks can have seizure disorders and sounds like this might be going on with your drake. sometime a vitamin diff will cause it too so you might try giving him a good complex poultry vitamin with the B vitamins in it niacin is an important one Poultry Nutri drench is a good one and TSC carries it. can be givne directly into mouth also. not squirted down the throat though. . Is he crested by any chance? they seem to be more prone to neurological issues also.
    As far as sexing ducklings I usually have to wait till mine are at least 6-8 weeks old before I can tell, but I have Muscovy so usually by that age they are growing larger than the girls daily. In other breeds that come from Mallard drake curl and quack is a dead give away.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213 these have to be followed as directed . I like to keep them all on hand but I usually use the activated charcoal.

Here's one on heavy metal poisoning https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...te-falling-weight-loss-lethargy#post_13244769

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  5. wornoutmomto3

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    No he isn't crested. I never thought of putting the vitamins directly in his mouth. I always put it in the drinking water, but it would barely get touched. The silly birds would sit in the pool all day and just drink that water.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    The poultry nutri drench is made to be used that way. directions on the bottle. I use it on any of my birds that seem to be not feeling so well, other times I put it in their drinking water, I use it during molt too. I'm glad to hear he isn't crested at least we can rule injury to head. hopefully. some crested come with neurological problems. Since this just started I think I'd treat for toxin just to be safe. get the activated charcoal but if you have either of the other then use them, you'll have to separate him for treatment and to be sure he is actually drinking the water.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    A few additional ideas - there is something called ataxia, and it can be caused by a number of different things. Sometimes it is viral, sometimes bacterial. Sometimes it is caused by nervous system problems.

I would consider adding brewer's yeast - one tablespoon per day - to his food for B vitamins. Some people on the forum like to use SuperB Complex, I think it also has some vitamin C in it. For dosage, I would base it on the B3 level - 150 mg per gallon of water.

If it's bacterial, then an antibiotic ought to help. If you can get a vet's help, I would.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by