Duck having seizures?

Born A Duck Lover

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Western Oregon
I have a Cayuga duck I got as a duckling from the feed store this year, and he's been having fits of some kind. When he was a few weeks old, he would suddenly shriek and pull his head back and fall over on his back and paddle his feet. After a minute he'd just be a little woozy, but then he'd be walking around like normal soon after. I had quarantined him, just in case, but he seemed fine except for his occasional fits. This stopped at around six weeks or so, and he didn't have problems until recently(he's about twelve weeks now.) He had been vigorously flapping his wings for awhile, and afterward he was really woozy and off-balance. He staggered around for a little bit until I supported him, and after half a minute he was back to normal. I don't believe it's anything serious, since he's in good health otherwise, but I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas about what his problem is.
hu.gif

Does he tend to do it more often while doing certain activity- such as when he is drinking- Or does it happen very randomly??

not real sure without seeing it. Many drakes have a call that sounds kind of like this, they will throw their head back and tail up and make a loud PEEP sound, then paddle around quick for a second or two. That may be all it is is him feeling his wheaties.
If he is off balance though and stumbling around uncontrollably, it may be a neurological disorder of sorts.

He seems to do it randomly; at least, I never noticed a pattern. But I know it's not him doing his drake macho thing. I've been around ducks for most of my life and I know a pompous drake when I see one
wink.png
. But yeah, I had wondered about that neurological thing. I've never had to deal with anything like this before; do you know what causes it or if there's any way to accommodate it?

o kay wasnt sure if you knew that about them or not.
Now we are leaning toward a neurological thing. When did it start, day one or later on. If from the start, could be a birth defect, if later on, could be environmental or some thing he ate. Make sure there are no wild berries he can get too. I had a smew drake eat some tiny purple ones of some form here one time, it pickled his noodle. Also moldy feed can hurt them, fungal infections can cause all sorts of problems if they can get to old feed, under bowls, in corners. Watch mice and rats, they can carry all sorts of problems in. Dont over feed them to avoid this. Try to make sure you give them just enough to hold them threw the day. Food left out at night is a mouse magnet
Also, could be some form of parasites. I have seen cases of them causing neurological disorders. If you havent wormed him, give him a small dose of Ivermectin if you have any around, 1/2 cc will be plenty. It kills most everything. If that doesnt improve him, not sure what to do.

He was a few weeks old when he first had problems. I know it's not problems with mold or mice or rats, and I kind of doubt it's parasites although it's possible. Yeah, it might be just some random thing he ate. Although he was raised with one other duckling who never had any problems at all. Frustrating...
barnie.gif
Well, thank you for all your replies! I had no idea that all those things could cause neurological problems. Thanks again for the information!
smile.png

No problem, and yep if that's the case, rule out birth problems, most likey cause, he ate something he shouldnt have, watch him for a few days and see if he improves. If not you may want to get some charcoal tables and put one in his water, they sell them at drug store and nutritional center. This helps pull out toxins, have seen it help before in some cases
Good luck with him
Aubrey

One of my pekins was doing that a few weeks ago...it was a female and she did the exact same thing...i seperated her out from the rest and she slowly got better and started gaining wieght and looking better and i have not seen her have another fit yet...she is back in with the other ducks and i dont even know which one she is right now...so i hope your duck gets better and stops having the seizers

My 8 wk old rouen female started having seizures two weeks ago. She'd squawk, and then her head would go back, her wings would flap and her feed would paddle. There's a really long thread all about me having a three day long panic attack over it
big_smile.png
. I took her to an avian vet and they did xrays and blood tests and gave me Valium crushed in syrup to give her.

She had nothing whatsoever wrong with her that could be seen in all the tests. The valium stopped her seizures (as it will in humans) but I gave it to her several times a day for five days. Then I started cutting back, and when she went two days without seizures and no valium, back outside she went.

I have read ducks are prone to seizures, or have them commonly enough that there have been many threads on it here and other forums. Most of the time, they seem to just stop. My duck quit eating at their worst, and I forcefed her. When she got the valium on board and got a break from the seizures, she started comin' back to me
smile.png
. Now, she is completely fine. She still has some crooked feathers from all the flopping around.

Back
Top Bottom