duck having trouble with laying an egg?

claraserena

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
We have 5 Welsh Harlequin ducks (4 female 1 male), 6 months old. In the last couple of weeks, I've found 4 eggs but don't know from which ducks. Today, one female seems to be in some distress--standing alone--seems she may be trying to lay an egg. I watched her for awhile and saw some clear drops falling from her back end so I'm pretty sure her behavior has to do with laying. These are my first full-size ducks. I would appreciate any ideas about what might be the matter and what I should or should not do.

It sounds like you are right about her trying to lay, and first time layers can sometimes have trouble laying. If she is still having trouble you may want to try and catch her, then lubricate her cloaca. If any part of the egg is exposed lubricate that as well. You can use a water based lubricant (KY Jelly is most common)and be careful not to tear the lip of the cloaca, and then place her in a warm, moist environment (such as a warm bathtub). What is happening is called egg binding. If she is still having trouble after you have tried this for a while you should consider taking her to a Vet. She may need surgery. I don't mean to scare you as it could be an easy process to lubricate but I just want you to be prepared if I am not on here and no one else answers.

I just checked her and used lubricant--I can feel an egg. She is eating and drinking ok. Getting a warm bath ready. What's a comfortable "warm" water temp for a duck?

Other things you can do is place a heating pad on very lowest setting put a towel around it and let her sit on it this causes humidity and can help. Giving her some water with tums crushed up in it for extra calcium or another type of calcium citrate is one. I also read placing your duck in the bathroom and letting the hot water run [where she can't get into it] but the humidity again is suppose to help.

Can you see the egg? You maybe able to lube her vent and gently work the egg out but you have to be very careful not to break the egg.

I did lube her vent and felt something hard but wasn't able to actually touch the egg. I'd like to try the heating pad but how do I keep her on it?

Back
Top Bottom