Duck help please

vtfarmer

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 6, 2013
Today as usual I cleaned and refilled our little plastic temporary pond and all the ducks went in but I noticed about a hour ago one was still in there after about two hours all by herself. she did not get excited as usual when I got close so I picked her up and noticed her legs both seem to be stiff. I sat her on some hay and her legs stayed straight out to the back and the poor girl tried to move them but could not. I held her and got both legs to bend then placed her in her house with fresh food and water in reach, she did drink. But now she just wiggled her way to the back corner by using her wings. Any ideas on what may be wrong or what I should do.

Thank you for responding. Our 8 ducks are 8 months old. All have been fine up until this.

Is there any swelling? Could she have gotten them too cold? (Not sure what area of the world you're in or what the weather's been like there.) Gotten injured or bitten by something (spider or snake)?

She is fine this morning, hope she will stay this way. We have a contracactor coming to dig them a nice large pond. Thank you all, Bruce

I'm glad she's better.
smile.png

Amiga, im not sure is it was from egg binding cause we have 6 ducks and got 5 eggs but I will get something today for her. What would you suggest is best ? We love our ducks and will be adding 10 WH and ten runners on the 21st from Metzers so any help / guidence is appreciated. Thank you

I have used layer feed and free choice oyster shell, now I supplement with calcium gluconate in their water and have needed to supplement individual ducks with prescription Neocalglucon (in peas is easiest).

Another possibility is that a drake injured her back. Extra swim time in lukewarm water may be therapeutic.

Thank you again, I thought about a drake as well but more likely I have a roo that tries hard with the hens. He is going soon.

Back
Top Bottom