Duck help! :)

Morgan231

Chirping
Apr 5, 2023
I picked up 2 ducks yesterday a breeding pair, these are my first pair of ducks, I have owned chicken for a long time though.

I picked them up yesterday and they haven't eaten since well at least what I've seen, they are to nervy for me to place the food infront of them. When I do go near them they are very panicky and I don't want to scare them. What shall I do? (I'm still working on their house)

F1A88B97-BC0E-4FC5-BB2D-F1FAC441F680.jpeg

I picked up 2 ducks yesterday a breeding pair, these are my first pair of ducks, I have owned chicken for a long time though.

I picked them up yesterday and they haven't eaten since well at least what I've seen, they are to nervy for me to place the food infront of them. When I do go near them they are very panicky and I don't want to scare them. What shall I do? (I'm still working on their house)

View attachment 3463218
Just put their food down, away from where you're working, and leave them be to eat as and when they wish. It might take some time for them to settle in and start eating

If the work you have to do is really necessary, then finish it up as swiftly as you can and then leave them alone so they can settle in. I expect they just need time

Just put their food down, away from where you're working, and leave them be to eat as and when they wish. It might take some time for them to settle in and start eating

If the work you have to do is really necessary, then finish it up as swiftly as you can and then leave them alone so they can settle in. I expect they just need time
okay thank you and yeah ill leave the jobs its mainly just cleaning them out which they probably don't even need yet x

Welcome to BYC, @Morgan231

Give your new ducks time to settle. From tomorrow, you might spend a few minutes each day sitting down with them, so they can get used to you without intimidating them by towering over them. I have an upturned bucket I sit on with my ducks and a cinder block in another part of the garden. After a few days of sitting with them, you might try offering them defrosted frozen peas in a bowl near your feet. Once your ducks are confortable coming up near you to eat peas, you might start offering peas from your outstreateched hands!

It takes time and patience, but winning the trust of your ducks is very worthwhile. You soon become their servant ministering to their every want and need!!

Welcome to BYC, @Morgan231

Give your new ducks time to settle. From tomorrow, you might spend a few minutes each day sitting down with them, so they can get used to you without intimidating them by towering over them. I have an upturned bucket I sit on with my ducks and a cinder block in another part of the garden. After a few days of sitting with them, you might try offering them defrosted frozen peas in a bowl near your feet. Once your ducks are confortable coming up near you to eat peas, you might start offering peas from your outstreateched hands!

It takes time and patience, but winning the trust of your ducks is very worthwhile. You soon become their servant ministering to their every want and need!!
Okay thank you! Are feeding them earth worms a good way to bond?

Those two are such cuties!
I definitely agree with the other responses about giving them time to adjust. Ducks are naturally suspicious of any changes in their environment. Even moving my girls' food container into a new place can make them skittish. Giving them time to adjust to the space and become familiar with their care routine will do wonders for them. And just spending time around them, letting them get to know what you look like and the sound of your voice will make them much more comfortable with you.
I also agree with the fact that treats never go amiss! My girls love peas, meal worms, kale, cabbage, dandelion leaves, etc. I will throw these in their enclosure for them to scavenge and they sometimes will eat them out of my hand!

Good luck with your new family members! :D

Back
Top Bottom