duck help!!!!

TheBeardie

Crowing
8 Years
Oct 7, 2014
Florida
I have a Welsh Harlequin that is about 8 to 9 months old, she was loud the loudest of all 6 of my ducks. Now she doesn't even make noise. When I fed them she didn't eat :( she isn't drinking normally but she's still is drinking. She started laying a month ago and started acting like this a week ago. Shes not Even interested in the Drake's out side the pin. Any one know what's wrong with her??

This is her a

Last edited:
So she hasn't laid for the past 2 days?
Make sure she isn't 'egg bound'.
Eggs can sometimes get stuck which can be quite serious.

"More frequently, an egg is held up in the lower part of the oviduct, after the shell has formed in the shell gland. The duck strains to pass the egg. She will spend a lot of the time sitting down, bobbing her tail gently up and down. The vent may have mucous around it, and the hard egg can sometimes even be felt when placing your hand under the abdomen. "

Egg binding is one possibility. Time floating in a tub of lukewarm water - at least half an hour, an hour is better - may help. Make sure she gets some extra calcium - I use calcium gluconate liquid, for specially occasions I put a half a teaspoon in a couple tablespoons of semi-mashed thawed peas.

Another possibility is egg yolk peritonitis. Very sneaky, very serious. Egg yolk can get loose in the body cavity and cause widespread infection. For that she would need antibiotics - Baytril is often prescribed for this condition. They can survive it, but need the antibiotics and also often other supportive care, to make sure she gets enough food.

A vet would be a good idea.

:yesss: My girl is all good now. She layed an egg for 3 days in a row before she started feeling better.she started eating the feed ( with oyster shell )today so it wasn't a bound egg, started drinking better and she started honking today too! Now she and the rest of our ducks wants back the entire pen ( we have a bobcat killing my aunts ducks and her $70 goose so we have bulit back the pen to the original seize until the animal traper, Christopher, gets the bobcat. we live on the same property. So we lock all our animals up at night.) Our male khaki Campbell went through the same thing about a year ago, I just realized that,. I am now feeding all of my females the shell in the morning feed along with some supplementary powder in the water.

She's in the middle

Back
Top Bottom