Duck hen is sitting on eggs in attic, which is 112° f. What should we do?

CoolHandLouis

Hatching
Jul 30, 2022
it was $12° f up there at 3:00 p.m. I live in Florida, and it's very humid here. I don't know anything about birds. I signed up to this forum solely for this emergency. How long can eggs survive that kind of heat?

We have been hearing noises up there for about a week. We weren't sure if it was just a house creaking or what but we went up there today. The hen is alive and alert, able to stand up. Another duck, presumably the daddy, is dead. I think maybe he couldn't get out. We don't know when she laid the eggs.

What is the probabilities of the eggs are still alive?

Last edited:
What's the probability they'll survive two more days of this heat? I mean, roughly and realistically?

50%?
10%?
5%?
1%?
Less than 1%?
I don't know, I'd it's been more than three days already, they are dead. The maximum most eggs can take for a short period is about 110, after a few hours, I'd consider them dead.

Before considering the eggs all dead why don't you take them and candle them in a dark room with a bright flash light. That should show how far along they are and if there are any signs of life if they should happen to be alive. I would do that myself before I would give totally up on them. Mine took some amazing cold temperatures and two of them hatched out for me in a home made incubator. I would have never of thought they had a chance.

Back
Top Bottom