Duck house build

Revarded1

Chirping
Feb 7, 2021
We can see the light at the end of the tunnel. The duck coop is almost done! Our babies are 4.5 weeks old and we can't wait to get them into their space. It looks like a palace next to the chicken tractor lol.
IMG_20211021_182359070.jpg

How many ducks will be sleeping in there? Nice coop, don't forget the ventilation.
It's 102 sqft. We have 8 ducks, which we'll be evaluating over the next few months and culling down to 5 (4 hens and 1 drake) for our breeder program. We ultimately hope to keep 12-16 of our best layers and breeders in that pen. But we also have a separate breeding/brooding pen so the numbers will fluctuate.

We're tackling the pond once this is finished!

Will you keep us updated? I love seeing different duck housing options.

Today's progress so far. Just need to finish the roof, drop the shavings, and set up the food and water stations! The shady side of the coop, which is East facing, will be all translucent panels.... because ducks need to enjoy the sunrise lol. The back side will get a row of wood board on the lower 24" area. It's hard to see, but here's a pile of pea gravel under the front right part of the coop for drainage under their water station. We're going to put in 2 storage tote nesting boxes and see how they like them. Had so much fun doing this project!

Attachments

• IMG_20211022_152218619.jpg
    IMG_20211022_152218619.jpg
    671.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20211022_152412259.jpg
    IMG_20211022_152412259.jpg
    817 KB · Views: 12
I missed the notification for this. Are you using corrugated plastic for the sides? That will probably be nice and warm in the winter with the sun coming in. How will you manage repairing it when the time comes? Is it easy enough to remove the panels?

I missed the notification for this. Are you using corrugated plastic for the sides? That will probably be nice and warm in the winter with the sun coming in. How will you manage repairing it when the time comes? Is it easy enough to remove the panels?
It's pretty easy to remove and light enough that you can just put a new panel on top or cut a section to patch over damage. Some of the panels (and most of the other materials) were repurposed from a mobile chicken run we took down. The panels had been in use for over a year and were still good so the polycarbonate is pretty durable....as long as no one accidentally steps on it 🤣.

We also have plans to move to a bigger homestead or find nearby land in about 5 years, possibly sooner if it's just land. We're hoping that there won't be major repairs before that!

It's pretty easy to remove and light enough that you can just put a new panel on top or cut a section to patch over damage. Some of the panels (and most of the other materials) were repurposed from a mobile chicken run we took down. The panels had been in use for over a year and were still good so the polycarbonate is pretty durable....as long as no one accidentally steps on it 🤣.

We also have plans to move to a bigger homestead or find nearby land in about 5 years, possibly sooner if it's just land. We're hoping that there won't be major repairs before that!
How are you securing the panels? I've been wanting to use some around my run as a wind breaker in the winter.

I like the "patchwork" look of the wood. I didn't realize it was going to be an open air duck house. Is this their only night housing? Are you afraid predators like weasels could get in through the larger openings?

Back
Top Bottom