Duck house height?

JamieMcClain

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
How tall does a duck house need to be? I was given a piece of, well I’m not sure what it was lol, but it would make a very good duck house with some minor alterations. Biggest one being that it is only 22in tall. I’m thinking I need to add some height to it. I currently have Indian runners and mallards. Hoping to add some cayugas soon.

I'd want a couple more feet. Besides wanting the ducks to not feel like they're trapped in a tiny cave, they create a lot of heat and moisture and that heavy humid air needs to go somewhere. Even with good venting unless you've got a draft (which you dont really want) that air isnt blowing right out, it'll linger a bit and you want it away from your birds. The height might also make cleaning easier for you, depending on how it's set up. Some people build their houses/coops tall enough for them to walk into. Just depends on the shape and your wants/needs for handling that stuff.

Oh it should be noted this won’t be their permanent housing. We are in the process of building a very large shed to house all the ducks and geese. This is just the temporary housing we will use to integrate more birds into the flock.

Back
Top Bottom