Duck house

Are you talking about just at night? It also depends what size ducks. My house is 4 foot by 3 foot and it works well for my six medium size ducks (Khaki Campell, Silver Swedish, Welsh Harlequin, etc.) for night time. Mine is attached to an 8 by 4 foot mesh, hoop pen and I never lock them only in the house. When it is cold out they all sleep in the little house together. During the day, they free range in my fenced garden.

Are you talking about just at night? It also depends what size ducks. My house is 4 foot by 3 foot and it works well for my six medium size ducks (Khaki Campell, Silver Swedish, Welsh Harlequin, etc.) for night time. Mine is attached to an 8 by 4 foot mesh, hoop pen and I never lock them only in the house. When it is cold out they all sleep in the little house together. During the day, they free range in my fenced garden.
Yes it's only to close them in from predators at night free range during the day

My only ducks are runners and, because they are smaller, I usually plan on about 3 square foot per bird, although I have violated my own rule occasionally.

While they were growing up enough to be safe from adult drakes, my four newest girls spent months in an enclosure -- calling it a house would have been generous -- that was about 2 square foot per bird. My ducks all live in semi-enclosed structures.

If I had your duck house, I would go for three birds -- and possibly four if it was for sleeping only. Oh, who am I kidding? Of course, I would go for four because duck math is every bit as real as chicken math. And, my ducks all huddle up together when they're "in bed," so space isn't as necessary as if they lived cooped up in it all the time.

I had a 2-foot-by-3-foot dog house I planned to use for my first runner ducklings. I went to the breeder, who assured me I could house three runners in that, and I came home with four. By the time they were old enough to leave the brooder, I had come up with completely different housing. Because I never know when enough is enough. Which is why I have 10 ducks today.

My only ducks are runners and, because they are smaller, I usually plan on about 3 square foot per bird, although I have violated my own rule occasionally.

While they were growing up enough to be safe from adult drakes, my four newest girls spent months in an enclosure -- calling it a house would have been generous -- that was about 2 square foot per bird. My ducks all live in semi-enclosed structures.

If I had your duck house, I would go for three birds -- and possibly four if it was for sleeping only. Oh, who am I kidding? Of course, I would go for four because duck math is every bit as real as chicken math. And, my ducks all huddle up together when they're "in bed," so space isn't as necessary as if they lived cooped up in it all the time.

I had a 2-foot-by-3-foot dog house I planned to use for my first runner ducklings. I went to the breeder, who assured me I could house three runners in that, and I came home with four. By the time they were old enough to leave the brooder, I had come up with completely different housing. Because I never know when enough is enough. Which is why I have 10 ducks today
They will be in it for 2 days then for 5 days theyll b out for a couple hours 3 to 4 so I can make sure they stay about as they r already fully grown
And a few hours more each day after that until I'm comfortable leaving them on there own

3 is the exact number I wanted it's a trio 1 Male 2 female

I have other runners which r in much larger houses but I wanted to have a trio to put in different part of the property and didnt want a huge house sticking in the middle of iit and didnt know if the 4 x 2 was big enough

They will be in it for 2 days then for 5 days theyll b out for a couple hours 3 to 4 so I can make sure they stay about as they r already fully grown
And a few hours more each day after that until I'm comfortable leaving them on there own

3 is the exact number I wanted it's a trio 1 Male 2 female

I have other runners which r in much larger houses but I wanted to have a trio to put in different part of the property and didnt want a huge house sticking in the middle of iit and didnt know if the 4 x 2 was big enough
I'm not sure I'm reading this right, but it sounds like you are planning to have them locked into the house for a majority of each day at the beginning? If so, I assume that means you'll have food and water in the house with them? If so, I would not feel comfortable with that amount of space. What is the house like? What is the bedding? Is there adequate ventilation?

Need pics please.

I personally think it is to small to house even 1.

My chick brooder is 2'x4' and only handles a few chicks for the first 3 weeks then it's to small. Adult anything in that size unless it is a hospital situation seems way to tight to move around in.

Need pics please.

I personally think it is to small to house even 1.

My chick brooder is 2'x4' and only handles a few chicks for the first 3 weeks then it's to small. Adult anything in that size unless it is a hospital situation seems way to tight to move around in.
Agreed, I've used a 2x4 rabbit cage for ducklings and they outgrow it very very fast, no adult ducks should be in something that size. Maybe just 1 if you need to separate them from the flock because of an injury or something. It probably wouldn't even work as a temporary setup for 1 duck if it is a large breed like Pekin.

Back
Top Bottom