DUCK HOUSE

I just got 10 ducklings (3 Runners, 2 Cayugas,1 Wt Crested, 1 Golden and 1 White 300 hybrids, 1 Khaki Campbell, 1 Blue Swedish) 4 weeks ago. I also have 18 hens. My ducklings are living in my barn until they get to laying age and can eat the chicken's layer feed. The hens have a luxury coop (see picture). It has enough space that I think they can share it with the ducks. I will take down the nesting box partitions so there is plenty of room for the ducks to nest at night and everyone to lay eggs during the day (see nest boxes picture). My question is: Do you think this ramp is too long-tall for the ducks to get into the coop? ( see picture with ramp) I thought about converting the space under the coop into a secure nesting place that the ducks can more easily access, but I don't relish trying to get under there to clean it out. I guess if they can't take the climb or things don't work out inside the coop with the duck/chicken combo, I could keep them in my old barn. Whadaya think???
Below is the builder of my coop standing by the ramp. Above are 5 of the 6 boxes. (The blue egg is fake altho a friend did try to eat it
lau.gif
)

First Swim at about 10 days.
love.gif
Wow, they grow FAST!

I just got 10 ducklings (3 Runners, 2 Cayugas,1 Wt Crested, 1 Golden and 1 White 300 hybrids, 1 Khaki Campbell, 1 Blue Swedish) 4 weeks ago. I also have 18 hens. My ducklings are living in my barn until they get to laying age and can eat the chicken's layer feed. The hens have a luxury coop (see picture). It has enough space that I think they can share it with the ducks. I will take down the nesting box partitions so there is plenty of room for the ducks to nest at night and everyone to lay eggs during the day (see nest boxes picture). My question is: Do you think this ramp is too long-tall for the ducks to get into the coop? ( see picture with ramp) I thought about converting the space under the coop into a secure nesting place that the ducks can more easily access, but I don't relish trying to get under there to clean it out. I guess if they can't take the climb or things don't work out inside the coop with the duck/chicken combo, I could keep them in my old barn. Whadaya think??? Below is the builder of my coop standing by the ramp. Above are 5 of the 6 boxes. (The blue egg is fake altho a friend did try to eat it:lau ) Just saw ur post. How r the ducks doing? I bet they made it up the ramp. There is a required sq ft per duck for nesting at night, I forget but, it may be 16" by 16" sq per duck, not to mention ur chickens. How r they doing together? I keep my 2 ducks & 6 chickens seperate at night time. They all free range together all day, however. My rooster (deceased) would stand his ground w/t ducks, the ducks (runners) would avoid my rooster. That's another reason I didn't want to house them together. How r yrs getting along? Thanks for sharing, sorry I said so much. First Swim at about 10 days. :love Wow, they grow FAST!

Can u show us pics of the inside & more of the outside?
900x900px-LL-3f2b948d_Coopsandstalls007.jpeg
This is inside the duck house since we have more than one drake we did stalls to keep the boys separated at night which is the only time they are in here. and since Muscovy's fly and climb real well we covered the tops to keep them in their own bedrooms. I can take more pics tomorrow if you'd like more, it's not fancy but it works for us.

Last edited:
Sure more pictures are always helpful. I am trying to get ideas for a larger duck house since I just ordered 10 ducklings Monday. I will keep them in the house until they feather out & it gets warmer here.
My husband & I have been brainstorming & we have drawn up many plans of different styles & making suggestions for using an existing lean-to (spelling?). And today we came up w/a nice plan to use a 20' 4-horse trailer. I really like this idea because it is:
1. its Secure, no predictors can get in
2. Has a good floor w/rubber matting
3. Vents on t/roof
4. Has 4 access doors
5. The manger & tack room for storing stuff
6. Has wheels so I can move it under the trees in the hot summer & near the house in winter so I can run electricity to it for the heated water bowls.
7. Its paid for, we don't use it for the horses, we have a better trailer.
8. The cost to particion it off for all the ducks will be low cost
9. We are replacing bedroom & bathrm doors inside our home, so we will use the old doors as partitions inside the trailer
The ducks will only sleep in it, they free range during the day
The only thing we will need to do is make some kind of fenced are in case we need to leave (together) for a few hours. I won't leave them free ranging if no one is home to watch out for them. We do have 2 dogs that protect them & alert us ALL the time.
ITS A WIN/WIN SITUATION!
TMI, sorry
I am so excited!

Sure more pictures are always helpful. I am trying to get ideas for a larger duck house since I just ordered 10 ducklings Monday. I will keep them in the house until they feather out & it gets warmer here.
My husband & I have been brainstorming & we have drawn up many plans of different styles & making suggestions for using an existing lean-to (spelling?). And today we came up w/a nice plan to use a 20' 4-horse trailer. I really like this idea because it is:
1. its Secure, no predictors can get in
2. Has a good floor w/rubber matting
3. Vents on t/roof
4. Has 4 access doors
5. The manger & tack room for storing stuff
6. Has wheels so I can move it under the trees in the hot summer & near the house in winter so I can run electricity to it for the heated water bowls.
7. Its paid for, we don't use it for the horses, we have a better trailer.
8. The cost to particion it off for all the ducks will be low cost
9. We are replacing bedroom & bathrm doors inside our home, so we will use the old doors as partitions inside the trailer
The ducks will only sleep in it, they free range during the day
The only thing we will need to do is make some kind of fenced are in case we need to leave (together) for a few hours. I won't leave them free ranging if no one is home to watch out for them. We do have 2 dogs that protect them & alert us ALL the time.
ITS A WIN/WIN SITUATION!
TMI, sorry
I am so excited!
Sounds really interesting might get some more ideas by going on the coop design thread here on BYC.

Hatched April 13 - OMG they grow so fast and ARE STINKY - temp setup outside to give my brooder room a breath of fresh air.... Darn Hawk - i have to cover even the temp setup -

This is their little house. It has dutch doors so in the winter the tops can be closed and just the bottoms open in inclement weather. There is an auto waterer for horses inside that connects to a rain barrel behind the house. This is their pool and pool Cabana. They use the Cabana quite a bit when its sunny or an eagle flies over. This is the feeding area. Their yard is around 50' x 75' or so. We will be adding another fence around the future orchard that will give them another 5000 square feet or so.
Hello, i love you coop for your ducks! I was thinking of one like this but splitting in half, half for my chickens and half for a new edition of ducks! Do you have plans from building it, or the demensions of it? Im really more curious about width, length, front wall hight and back wall hight! Thanks so much!!!!! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom