DUCK HOUSE

The duplex could be called The Duck Bachelor Pad! LOL
We have all male ducks and that means separating them into groups in the spring when the testosterone hits. So we built a duck duplex. There are 2 doors and an internal wall that goes up just beyond their heads. That way they can share the heat/fresh air and hear each other but not fight.
There are two full doors on the back walls for cleaning out. Once we realized how much fresh air they need and put in lots of screening up high, the bedding gets changed once a week or so.

This one is the original house and now has 4 ducks living in it.

900x900px-LL-d57658c7_42327_october_2010_006.jpeg
Ducks on the left, chickens on the right.
Adore your set up!

It isn't pretty, but it was 100% free materials :) Back and Front are made from dog kennel panels, top is tarped to give shade and keep most of it dry. I have a ramp propped up with milk crates and I have a fence circled around it to keep them in. Works great for my six week old ducks.

Snow white in the dog house

Snow White and Cinderella at the watering pan (bottom of a rabbit cage, super pet brand)

lydia very nice. thanks everybody i appreciate all the help i will post mine shortly but no ponds i thought they need water to swim in?

Nice houses here! I am expecting 2 female Runner ducklings from Metzers in about a week, and while they will still be in the brooder for at least a month I need to start thinking about a small shelter for them. It would be located inside the run that they will share with my 5 hens (who already have their own little coop) and there is already a pool in there too because I had a Pekin drake for a while that I recently had to rehome. He would coop with my hens so I never built a seperate duck house before...does the house have to be tall enough for the Runners to stand in? Any special modifications for when they will lay? Or will a dog house with plenty of bedding and ventilation do? Here's a pic of the setup, I'd like to put it in the corner just opposite the hen house. Oh and the run is 10X20'

Thanks to all of you for posting these pictures. You have given me lots of ideas for how to set up my duck housing and enclosure!

A question for those of you who keep your ducks year-round ... do you have any winter pictures with snow? I live in upstate NY and we typically get lots. Do you have to shovel a space for them to get around? What do you do about your ponds - assuming they're small kiddie-pool sized - do you keep them thawed with a pump or bubbler, or do you just not have a pond during the winter months?

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom