Duck House

welcome-byc.gif

Something like that might work out very well - - - as long as it will protect them from predators, it sure is a lovely design
big_smile.png

Absolutely. Just be sure all things that can open can be secured and any windows have hardware cloth over them, securely attached.
I would also give it a real floor - deck boards can easily be hosed down and not have something digging under to get them.

Good to know. I was planning on having mostly chickens and thinking I might add a little place for a couple ducks.

Now I hear that ducks don't roost like chickens do so there are a few things I'll probably need to change here and there.

Perhaps i am confused but is part of the floor wire? i don't like that. Also remember while chickens climb ramps, ducks just are not that agile. I have Muscovy and they climb up fencing but ramps? ha no.

Last edited:
I cannot speak on Amiga's behalf. That said ducks MUST have water when they have feed so if you plan on feeding in your coop you must think how to keep water from getting everywhere. Now yes, past a certain aging they can do without overnight but as ducklings it's a must.

Last edited:
GQ catches my drift.

Ducklings, ducks, have a special relationship with water. They need it, and they splash. If not managed well, you can end up with unpleasantly aromatic, moldy housing - not healthy, not happy for anyone.

Here is an example of duckling brooder water management

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/641902/created-a-water-saver-for-my-duck-brooder

Regarding the wire floor, I would say that as long as it is covered with sufficient bedding to keep the ducks' feet off the wire, you are probably okay. The Veranda (porch attached to the duck house) has half inch hardware cloth on the bottom, under two to four inches of sand, sawdust and other bedding material.

Regarding the wire floor, I would say that as long as it is covered with sufficient bedding to keep the ducks' feet off the wire, you are probably okay. The Veranda (porch attached to the duck house) has half inch hardware cloth on the bottom, under two to four inches of sand, sawdust and other bedding material.
This is true, i'd just hate to see bare wire for extended periods, wouldn't it be a risk for bumblefoot?

Back
Top Bottom