Duck House

This is true, i'd just hate to see bare wire for extended periods, wouldn't it be a risk for bumblefoot?
With you 100% Going Quackers, bare wire can damage feet and increase risk of infection. I want to acknowledge that there are a number of people who have wire-bottom cages, but my thoughts are that I don't want to risk it, and it doesn't seem that it would be as cushy as bedding.

I suspect I'll be having to make the duck house from all the photos I've been browsing over throughout the forum. I was thinking of putting a little kiddie pool or something along those lines for all their water-play desires.

@Amiga - I sure do like that watering contraption you made for the ducklings. I'll have to keep that in mind.

So I am wondering about what ducks 'roost' on/in? I figure it's not going to be a perch like what chickens use. Do they just sleep on bedding? Is that where they will most likely lay their eggs?

Thanks in advance!

Keep in mind dirt floors aren't good for ducks because they have wide feet, patting down dirt with poop and spilled water creating a very muddy, or rock hard unsanitary floor. So make sure they are not on bare dirt. Also a predator will dig right under your coop if you have a dirt floor.

I suspect I'll be having to make the duck house from all the photos I've been browsing over throughout the forum. I was thinking of putting a little kiddie pool or something along those lines for all their water-play desires.

@Amiga - I sure do like that watering contraption you made for the ducklings. I'll have to keep that in mind.

So I am wondering about what ducks 'roost' on/in? I figure it's not going to be a perch like what chickens use. Do they just sleep on bedding? Is that where they will most likely lay their eggs?

Thanks in advance!
Yes, ducks sleep on the bedding. I have a few who like to sleep on straw bales a foot above the others. Mine either lay them randomly on the bedding or more often in a shared nest spot they make for themselves.

Yes, I would dig hardware cloth/rocks below the surface surrounding the pin to help prevent critters from digging.

What type of floor is optimal?

Thanks in advance!
They just sleep on the floor so pine shavings are a good idea. And yes that is where they will most likely lay their eggs or in a nest box on the ground or in something like this:

Last edited:
My duck house floor is made of trex. Scrap pieces that just happened to be enough to cover their floor and I cut out a section and did it with hardware cloth below the water bin so the water they fling around mostly goes right out, not hanging around to make things soggier. But if that hadn't fit, we'd have used deck boards.

Back
Top Bottom