Duck house

qhlover

Chirping
May 15, 2015
West Texas
I have 4 ducklings that are in need of a house. I am looking for suggestion for a house that will be easy to clean and easy to get get the eggs out. I know I know ducks are known for not laying there house but I want to try.

I took the opposite approach, not just for ease of getting the eggs, but because it gets so ripping cold here, and sometimes for days and weeks, I wanted something big enough that my Runners and Buffs were less likely to get cabin fever. So I sectioned off an area of the walkout basement for them.

This won't work for most people, but I wanted to let you know that this works well for us. I don't have to shovel to get to the ducks after a major snowstorm.

Amiga thank you for the incite
We are lucky down here in west texas we only get snow a few times a year and usealy only an inch or two and we only have subzero temps for a few weeks a year. Heat is my biggest weather consern.

I did a 3 sided coop since I'm in TX as well. Works great and it simple and easy to build. You can look through my pics and see it. I'm on my phone and don't have any pictures at the moment. I did add a nesting box to the side and they all lay in it and usually sleep right in front of the open wire side.

Last edited:
Amiga thank you for the incite
We are lucky down here in west texas we only get snow a few times a year and usealy only an inch or two and we only have subzero temps for a few weeks a year. Heat is my biggest weather consern.
What part of West Texas are you in. We are just a bit North of Coleman and last year we had two HARD freezes where the temps stayed in the teens for over a week at a time. Plus the current bit of severe storms and tornados. However, my chickens, ducks and geese, all just go about their business as if it was a sunny day in Florida. Duck prints in the snow are funny.

What part of West Texas are you in. We are just a bit North of Coleman and last year we had two HARD freezes where the temps stayed in the teens for over a week at a time. Plus the current bit of severe storms and tornados. However, my chickens, ducks and geese, all just go about their business as if it was a sunny day in Florida. Duck prints in the snow are funny.

I am in Monahans west of Middland. We got those hard freezes too. And almost nightly a thunderstorm blows through. The chicks are still locked in the coop as they are only a month old. They don't seem to mind the storms blowing out side.

I am in Monahans west of Middland. We got those hard freezes too. And almost nightly a thunderstorm blows through. The chicks are still locked in the coop as they are only a month old. They don't seem to mind the storms blowing out side.
Hey ghlover, just saw on the news that your area is getting hammered by a BIG storm with hail that measures 12" (one foot) in diameter. Hope you and yours are safe.

Hey ghlover, just saw on the news that your area is getting hammered by a BIG storm with hail that measures 12" (one foot) in diameter. Hope you and yours are safe.

We should not get the warts of it the sand hills to our east divert storms around us for the most part we will get rain and some hail. But we have battened down the hatches and have everyone tucked in. Thank you for the concern

Back
Top Bottom