Duck Houses

Pics
We finished our 'Duckie Palace' this weekend. We've got 3 ducks, 2 Pekins (Chunk and Squirt) and a Khaki Campbell (Khaki) and these are the new digs...

It started with a 6'x5' chicken coop built by a local shed manufacturer (and built solid like a shed!). We modified it a bit inside for the ducks by removing the lower roost so they would have ample wing span stretching space, and made a shelf out of the upper roost for food/shaving/etc storage.

We then added a protected 6'x8' run to the side for when we aren't able to let them out in the yard....

The run framing is all 4x4 pressure treated lumber, and the floor is made up of 3" of washed 3/8" river stone, covered with a layer of 4" plastic pallets (for air space over the rocks), and a 1" rubber horse stall mat layer on the top. The 'indoor pool' is a 10 gallon low sided plastic wash tub, and there's also a 5 gallon waterer, and a PVC gravity feeder.

The mesh side panels are 1/2x1/2 welded, galvanized, vinyl coated wire - stainless stapled to the frame, and sandwiched between the framing and the trim. We put on a 1/2" plywood roof, covered with the steel wall panels of a pole building as the final roofing material.

Finished the wood up with a coat of grey paint to match the house and deck, added some black iron hardware and a vinyl rain gutter at the rear roof line for rain runoff, and vinyl gutter at the rear floor for washing the pen out (the rear bottom frame cross member is 1/2" off of the floor to allow the water to pass through the back when hosing the pen out).

First go at a duck pen (or anything like this actually), we are quite pleased, and wanted to share!

So, I've been through a few threads about duck housing and I'm seeing lots of variety. I'm just not finding what I need though.

Mom and I haven't really done lots of big(gish) woodwork stuff, but we have a good selection of tools and I don't know about her but I'm pretty decent with anything but power tools, except like a power drill or sander.

We've got two ducks, they're khaki Campbell's.

Right now they're in a sort of temporary pen, we want to build a better one.

I can't seem to find a post with coop/run plans and a list of supplies that looks doable.

For some reason my searches don't seem to be returning much other than this thread. I'm only ever on here on mobile though, so that might be why.

Any suggestions or links to threads? I'm about to check Google, but I trust this site most of any I've seen so I'm checking here first.

Thanks

If you have a Home Depot nearby I suggest you get your plan and have them cut the lumber for you.

Now you could just have them cut the "frame/shell" of the coop for you and then you could cover it with what ever material you chose. I also suggest checking Craiglist for pieces of stuff you can use. Pinterest and other sites have some nice coop built from pallets. Just google "coops from pallets". Sometime old furniture will work too. An old dresser or buffet.

10.jpg

pallet-house.jpg

3154809818_1336517386.jpg

Last edited:
I hope you don't think that's mine. I'm not that talented  nor can I afford the materials to build it. :lol:

I was just posting pictures of coops from pictures of coops made from recycled pallets.  It is nice though. 

It's a good one whoever made it :) I couldn't do it! But my husband can make anything... He made are duck house and pen. I was management :)

Back
Top Bottom