Duck housing needs and when can they go out in the cold???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by countrygirl74, Nov 30, 2012.

1. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    Hello!
    I have 4 ducklings that are about 4 weeks old (one of them is 5 weeks). Two are Pekins and two are Rouens. I already have a run built with a wall that separates the chickens from the ducks. We built a chicken house for the chicks but now I am wondering what to do for the ducks. Does their house need to be as elaborate as the chickens (roosts, nesting boxes, ramp, etc.) or can they live happily with a "dog" house? I've heard some people just use the plastic X-large dog houses and others who go all out and make them almost like the chicken house. I'm looking for the simplest way to create a shelter for them. The house will be inside a safe run.

Also, how old do they need to be to stay out at night? They have been off heat lamps for a couple weeks and I have been putting them outdoors in the run from about 9a.m. to 5:30p.m. every day. They love it! The temperatures have been 65-68 during the day but it drops to 30 at night so I bring them back inside overnight. About at what age can they safely spend the night outside with no heat supplement as I will not be running heat lamps to the run/house?

Any advice and comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I would wait until around 6-8 weeks for completely no heat supplement at night if it's getting that chilly. All of my ducklings are outside full time by the fourth week. They won't need a roost,nesting box,or ramp but I would advise a bit more elaborate than a dog house. Especially in cooler temps and bad weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by