Duck Housing?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wannabfarmgirl, Apr 3, 2009.

1. wannabfarmgirl

wannabfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2009
    South Carolina
    Okay - so I just started in the poultry world a couple months ago, with our beautiful chicks. And now...I've somehow, been sucked into the world of ducks [​IMG] I have baby Magpie and Khaki Campbells on the way!

My question...how many of you folks let your ducks free range (we have 15 acres). I'm aware that you need to supply housing (even though I'm told that they don't like it indoors), but do I need to confine them into a fenced in area?

Thanks!

2. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I have 6 flying mallards who free range all day, every day, on 30 acres. They were brooded in a baby pool in my garage last October/Nov, then the winter became harsh and they stayed in the pool for Dec/Jan too. Finally in Feb they went out the kennel at night (6 foot by 4 foot dog run with dog house 4x4.)
    They know this as home, and although they can fly away, they don't. They realize the food is ME and I'm the lettuce lady so...why leave?
    One drake left for 1 day about 2 months ago. He came home limping and has never strayed again. They are creatures of routine so build the routine that we go out, and come to the same place every night for sleep. Soon they will herd themselves by dusk.
    Good luck, you'll love ducks. They are such entertainment.
    [​IMG]

3. fowlmood

fowlmood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    northern Michigan
    I free range my flock. At least a little bit each day. The problem with my silly birds is, even though they have 24 acres here to graze on, since I don't house them in the very middle of the 24 acres, they end up grazing at the neighbors sometimes. I guess it's the whole grass is always greener thing. Anyway, they do love to get out of the run/fenced in area they sleep in at night. When the sun goes down, the chickens go right in to roost and the ducks usually head in shortly after.

4. Mallards have a better chance of escaping predators than non-flying breeds. Some say Khakis and other darker ducks do a little better because their coloring helps them hide. You might look at being sure they are in a safe area fairly early in the evening. We had a fox that was coming into our yard late afternoons in February. Once we put up some electric fencing the fox disappeared.

5. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I have eleven ducklings free ranging on my suburban lot( roughly 1/2 acre or less). I feed them chick starter grower in the morning mixed with some cracked corn. They pretty much keep to one side of the lot (the one that is always water logged). I wouldn't say that side stinks but..... there may be a slight odor. They are part of my Mosquito Abatement Program. 11 may be a bit much but I will butcher 4 eventually as they are the jumbo Pekins.

As for housing, they live in a little coop of sorts. It is basically three pallets with a tarp to cover the top. I put wood shavings in there. They don't go in there so much. Not unless I herd them in. Even if it is raining they sit out on the Lawn. My lot is fenced in so I don't have to worry about them getting out or something getting in. I am using a Kiddie pool for their water source which I totally hate to change but I do.

6. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Beautiful ducks!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by