Duck identification and noob questions!

houdiniduck

Songster
5 Years
Jun 17, 2014
Mesa, AZ
so we have determined that pita is a boy (yellow feet, bigger) and we are hoping that Houdini is a girl (black feet, half the size of pita)

What I want to know is:

A) do you think I am right that i have a drake and hen?

B) Does anyone know what kind of ducks they are, or are they just mixes?

B) Do female ducks of this species only lay eggs during the spring or will they lay year round? We live in Mesa, AZ, If that sort of weather makes any difference... I know these two are doing the "deed" quite often and was just wondering if they are practicing or if I should look for eggs soon....

Thanks Y'all!

this is the "female" houdini

"Male", Pita

Pita (male) in front of Houdini (female) ??

Looks like Houdini might be a girl. They are Muscovies and males are much larger than females. I know that wild ducks lay based on day length, so spring and summer are prime laying times. Some people say they can extend laying times with extra light.

Awesome, Thanks! We didn't know what we were getting into, hahaha. I call Pita mutant duck because he is more like the size of a goose! Love him even though he makes honking/hissing noises at me all the time!

Awesome, Thanks! We didn't know what we were getting into, hahaha. I call Pita mutant duck because he is more like the size of a goose! Love him even though he makes honking/hissing noises at me all the time!
Hissing and huffing is normal for male muscovies as they don't quack. Females make a chirrup or chirping noise.

Back
Top Bottom