Duck identification

I do not think your original ducks are necessarily mixed. White ducks, like Perkins, have all the genes for color but a separate one, the one for white, causes that color not to be put in their feathers. This gene is recessive so both parents have to carry it to have white offspring. I believe your babies parents are the runner and a Pekin. They have the Runner pattern from the Runner parent which is giving them the cool pattern and the color from the Pekin parent. They are beautiful btw!

As others have mentioned, Pekins usually carry alleles for dark colors (often mallard or black) but are white because they are homozygous for the recessive white allele.

They only surprising thing is that so many of them are crested. I didn't notice any crests among your adults.

As others have mentioned, Pekins usually carry alleles for dark colors (often mallard or black) but are white because they are homozygous for the recessive white allele.

They only surprising thing is that so many of them are crested. I didn't notice any crests among your adults.

No, none of our adults are crested. We ended up with 2 crested ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom