Duck in horrible shape!! Please help!

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, and for those poor little ducks who don't deserve this. Thank you for helping them.

I think with appropriate housing and nutrition they will improve greatly. Ventilation and a deep clean water bucket to wash out the eye might help a lot. When my duck had a less serious eye issue I took her to the vet and was prescribed eye drops, but that was really expensive. I believe for at home treatments people rinse with saline, and sometimes use Terramycin ointment (which you can buy without a prescription). I don't know if an antibiotic ointment is indicated - or if the eye just had debris accumulated.

I would definitely keep the girl separated from the drakes and do what you can to advise the owners when they return. They must not know that girls can be injured and killed. A 3 to 1 ratio... That poor little girl.

You are doing a great job.

Thank you. I got a deep water dish for them and do have saline solution. I think I’m going to wait to see if the eye improves with a deep dish. They have been drinking out of a chick water since now..so hopefully they clean their eyes out. Is there anything else I can do for the legs?
I don't have experience with that specific leg issue. I have heard of the increased niacin requirements of pekins and how not enough causes leg issues. Since their diet was incomplete I agree with Miss Lydia that supplementing is a very good idea. I would supplement them.

I would also provide them with plenty of soft bedding, in case their feet are sore. You might let them swim if you have a pool you can give them access to without contaminating your own flock's area/equipment. My duck had arthritis and soft bedding/swimming helped her a lot.

Perfect! It looks like one of them may have an eye problem, in this picture you posted: View attachment 2698207
If the feather is hanging in the eye that maybe be irritating. So clipping which won't be a one person job. Deep water to wash out her eyes will help too.

Thank goodness they had you. Poor babies. You did the right thing. I understand why you offer to take care of them and I have to give you kudos because I don't think I would be such a nice neighbor to have if I were in your situation. Thanks for helping them. I hate to say it but, I wouldn't give them back though. They'll suffer the same fate. I cannot stand people who make animals suffer.

Yes, we are trying to think of a way to tell them that we should keep them. The hard thing is that the ducks are their teenage daughters ducks and she “loves” them.. she tells us how well she takes care of them and how much she loves them but her actions clearly speak louder than her words. They are happier in the grass at our house. They are now very skittish of everything. They are even afraid of our one week old ducklings. But they are enjoying the clean environment and clean water. They look a little better but with time I think they will be way healthier
image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom