Duck incubation

dishfickle

Songster
11 Years
Jan 26, 2012
Hey all! I have a few duck eggs cookin'. Two are farther along. Movement and lots of veins. The others are pretty veiny as well, but obviously behind. What about lockdown? I'm pretty sure they should hatch around the 7th. Lockdown on the 2nd? What about the others?

What kind of incubator do you have? I have a manual foam one, and usually when I have eggs that are younger I just don’t touch the older eggs and continue to hand rotate the youngers, but if you have an automatic I’m not sure what you can do unless you have another incubator

No, I put some in a little later. I'm using a magicfly. It turns them. Obviously this is my first time ... It will be a learning experience

Take the turner out at day 25 for the older ones
Place the dipped air cell facing up on the day 25 eggs
Continue to hand turn the younger ones and don’t up them humidity until you see an internal pip in the older eggs
You can continue to turn the younger ones until you see external pip in the older eggs
At that time I would make sure the younger are all facing with the dipped air cell up
Turning is most important at the start
Not as much at the end
I have one day 22 I stopped turning today as the baby has turned into position and lots of shadowing in air cell. The others im still turning as they aren’t there yet.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Hey all! I have a few duck eggs cookin'. Two are farther along. Movement and lots of veins. The others are pretty veiny as well, but obviously behind. What about lockdown? I'm pretty sure they should hatch around the 7th. Lockdown on the 2nd? What about the others?
how many days behind are the eggs you added in? My two were 4 days apart and I let lockdown ride as normal, I simply waited a little longer before upping the humidity.

What's a Dipped air cell? Wow, this is complicated. I didn't realize mama ducks were so smart lol. Thank you for the info, it's starting to make sense
This is my egg I stopped turning the air cell is higher up the egg on one side
Where my flashlight is. That’s what I leave pointing up
Birds are very smart.
Be patient as ducks take a long time to Hatch so don’t panic if you see an external pip bit no baby for 24-48 hours later. That’s normal

Attachments

• 9A36E2AB-D827-47E0-9099-F47A7BEC8803.png
    9A36E2AB-D827-47E0-9099-F47A7BEC8803.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom