1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck incubator question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ravenwillow86, Jun 1, 2017.

1. ravenwillow86

ravenwillow86 Just Hatched

May 20, 2017
    On the temperature and humidity, how off can it be with out hurting the ducklings?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    ravenwillow86 likes this.
  3. ellimf

ellimf Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    Probably not much help as I am a first time duck egg incubator myself, but we just had a power outage and my incubator was without power all night. Temp dropped to about 82F (below 30 C) and humidity dropped pretty low as well. I was able to bring the temp and humidity back up and 12 hours later candled the eggs. I am happy to report they all have definite movement and are all alive. We are less than a week from hatch day so we will see if they actually hatch.

I think it depends on a lot of different factors, how long temp and humidity are off and by how much, how far along the eggs are. Some might argue that they are very sensitive and temp and humidity have to be exact and consistent all the time and you have to follow a strict regimen of turning and misting and cooling for the best hatch, but I am now firmly in the camp that these little eggs are more durable than we often give them credit for.

I have heard that if temps are a bit too low, they will still hatch, but might take a day or two longer to hatch. Likewise, if they are a bit too high, they may hatch a little bit sooner. I cannot say from experience if this is true or not, though.

ravenwillow86 and drumstick diva like this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree with ellimf. A broody duck wouldn't be on her eggs 24/7 , and she might not even be able to cover all her eggs at the same time. Ducks usually have a lot of eggs they brood.

Sending good hatching vibes your way

ravenwillow86 likes this.
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

I have never hatched duck eggs before, however as with any other fowl, temps are very important. Definitely follow the link that CTKen has left for you to the Ducks section. Lots of helpful folks there.

Good luck with your hatch and welcome to our roost! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by