Duck injury- need advice

Lhayman

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2019
Hi all- I found my precious girl in the pond this morning unable to get out and in shock. She is currently resting in a box in the house and is perking up a little bit. Does anyone have any idea how this happened/ what did it?! Advice for how to treat her would be much appreciated.
E6ED3D55-CAD9-4B29-ADA6-F0AEECBE42D0.jpeg
08E59ECA-AF23-4316-A7B4-F0189174645A.jpeg

Poor girl! Something tried to eat her and plucked the feathers out. Agree with @sourland that looks like an inexperienced dog. You already did the right thing by letting her rest and calm down. I would add some sugar - if you have glucose - and Vitamin C to her drinking water to provide some extra energy. Luke warm baths in clean water and antibiotic ointment after that.
Has she undergone the fall molting already? If yes, you may have to keep her indoors until the spring molt, because her feathers won't regrow before that.

:welcome sorry for the circumstances. That almost looks like damage from a dog mauling/playing with her. I would coat the abrasions with an antibiotic ointment and keep her quiet and away from possible fly strike. Good luck.
Thank you I’ll put some antibiotic ointment on it- our dogs are her friends but we did hear coyotes in the field last night. It’s possible they squeezed into the pen. Ugh.

Poor girl! Something tried to eat her and plucked the feathers out. Agree with @sourland that looks like an inexperienced dog. You already did the right thing by letting her rest and calm down. I would add some sugar - if you have glucose - and Vitamin C to her drinking water to provide some extra energy. Luke warm baths in clean water and antibiotic ointment after that.
Has she undergone the fall molting already? If yes, you may have to keep her indoors until the spring molt, because her feathers won't regrow before that.
I heard some coyotes in the field last night- a little one must have squeezed into the pen. Thanks so much for your advice. I'll head to the feed store after work and pick up some vitamin C for her. Shoot I'm not sure if she has molted yet... I live in Montana so it's possible that she has.

I would consider hot wiring your fence, and putting a game cam up, if it got through once it will most likely be back to try again. I'd be the one sitting out in the dark with gun making sure they didn't try it again though lol

you only want to give electrolytes 1 day, most important thing is she is eating and drinking, a soft brat diet may help with the shock, yogurt, scrambled egg etc

I would consider hot wiring your fence, and putting a game cam up, if it got through once it will most likely be back to try again. I'd be the one sitting out in the dark with gun making sure they didn't try it again though lol

you only want to give electrolytes 1 day, most important thing is she is eating and drinking, a soft brat diet may help with the shock, yogurt, scrambled egg etc

That’s a good idea to hot wire it. And we’ll definitely be out there with a gun tonight haha! Thanks for the tips of foods to try with her.

That’s a good idea to hot wire it. And we’ll definitely be out there with a gun tonight haha! Thanks for the tips of foods to try with her.
My friends loved cooked oatmeal when they were stressed out for some reason with and watermelon with all seeds picked out, which was good way to get extra water into them too when they are stressed or injured

Back
Top Bottom