Duck is eating his own feathers!

lissygirl

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 14, 2014
Help, my four month old is eating his own feathers. He has always eaten his feathers all his life, but now he is getting ready to molt and he's losing a lot of feathers, therefore he is eating A LOT of feathers!! He doesn't pull them out, but if they fall out or if they happen to come out while he is grooming he gobbles them up before I can get them away from him. Is this normal and is it okay for his digestive system??? He gets plenty of feed with 16% protein and lots of attention. His coop is large for him.

Help, my four month old is eating his own feathers. He has always eaten his feathers all his life, but now he is getting ready to molt and he's losing a lot of feathers, therefore he is eating A LOT of feathers!! He doesn't pull them out, but if they fall out or if they happen to come out while he is grooming he gobbles them up before I can get them away from him. Is this normal and is it okay for his digestive system??? He gets plenty of feed with 16% protein and lots of attention. His coop is large for him.
Needs more protein, try dried meal worms or tuna in water or salmon in water feeder fish/ good quality cat kibble. If you go with cat kibble make sure the food is small enough for him to eat. I'd say a small amount probably would 't hurt but we also don't want him clogged up. I have seen my ducks/chickens eating a few feathers that's when I offer more protein and during molt they need the extra.

Back
Top Bottom