duck is pigeon toed

jigger

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
I have never had a duck before and last time we got chicks we got a duck. It is walking a little funny with one foot facing inward. Does anyone know what we are doing wrong or how to help him?

My Pekin duckling has a similar problem. When she was fairly young (first month or so) she was extremely pigeon-toed and constantly stumbling and stepping over herself. Since her body has filled out a little more and her hips have widened (4+ weeks in), her leg that would twist inward has mostly corrected itself. I think essentially what had happened was her feet and legs were simply growing faster than her body was, and was causing her to really have trouble running/walking around.

My suggestion is to just wait it out and if it continues to be bad after your duckling is about a month old, you might need to start thinking about ways to correct it (if you care that much, not everyone does).

Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you:) Yes he is probably around a month already. He can walk it just doesn't seem as easy as it should be. We we will definitely do what we can he is not a meat duck he will be part of the family.

We too have a pigeon toed Pekin duck, she will be 4 weeks old tomorrow (4-24), she can swim fine but walking/running is always a challenge for her. She is growing but not as rapidly as her sibling. We keep her well protected from our hens as they tend to peck her. We sure don't want to keep her in a cage all her life, she is very loved by our 12 yr old daughter and we have no intentions of her being a meat duck. If anyone has any info on leg correction I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks :)

I have been feeding our duck the game duck food but have not noticed a change in the feet. We have been letting him out to run around a lot and swim hoping that would help. Walking he is getting used to but still loses his balance and trips on his feet. I haven't found a way to correct the pigeon toed problem.

The duck has a niacin shortage. You need to give them additional niacin in their water. 100 mg per gallon of water. You need to buy regular niacin (not the time released no flush kind) and add it to the drinking water. It usually comes in a capsule, just open in up and dump it in the water.

I will try the niacin capsules, I purchased electrolytes from the local feed store yesterday, this particular one contains SOME niacin but not much. I will get the real deal this weekend and give it a try. Thanks for your reply :)

I have a pekin duck that walks on both feet. He's not splayed but pigeon toed bad. What to do? He is old enough to swim in the pond but can't fly, so we put him up and all of the other 6 ducks that has a pin on a concrete slab. We put them up at night and let them back out in the mornings.
I would post a picture but don't know how to on my cell. I am new to this site ,along with my first time having ducks. We have 4 pekins and 3 mallards.

I have some who have had this problem as well. Now you haven't said how old he is, but I have found the more time they spend walking and swimming the better it will get. As long as it isn't keeping him from getting around, I would leave it and let him work it out, he will. If it is really bad, to the point he just can't get around, there are ways to make a braces/wrap that will start turning the foot out. If he is young still, less than 4 months old, this shouldn't be needed.

Back
Top Bottom