Duck isolating herself

PeekinPekin

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 28, 2014
Western NY
Hello,
I am hoping someone may have some thoughts for me. We have 6 ducks, a variety of breeds -3 male and 3 female hatched last July. The last few days one of the females has really been isolating herself from the rest. She appears to be the male's favorite having thin feathers on the back of her head/neck. She's been laying eggs regularly. Definitely yesterday. Maybe today as 2/3 girls did. She seems bright, moves around ok and eats her layer diet and drinks well so far. I'm worried about her but maybe she's just sick of those boys! I was going to separate the girls from boys to see if that helped but noticed they've been leaving her alone when she's off on her own so I just left them alone for now. Is this typical behavior? These are our first pet Ducks! Thanks!!

Hello,
I am hoping someone may have some thoughts for me. We have 6 ducks, a variety of breeds -3 male and 3 female hatched last July. The last few days one of the females has really been isolating herself from the rest. She appears to be the male's favorite having thin feathers on the back of her head/neck. She's been laying eggs regularly. Definitely yesterday. Maybe today as 2/3 girls did. She seems bright, moves around ok and eats her layer diet and drinks well so far. I'm worried about her but maybe she's just sick of those boys! I was going to separate the girls from boys to see if that helped but noticed they've been leaving her alone when she's off on her own so I just left them alone for now. Is this typical behavior? These are our first pet Ducks! Thanks!!
Is she sitting on eggs? Sounds like broodiness to me. If the boys are using her too much for mating or any of the girls I would give the girls some time with just themselves. 3 Drakes to 3 females can be over whelming for the females.

Welcome To BYC

Thanks so much! She does want to sit on the eggs but we've been taking them... Not ready to expand the flock. I will separate them more officially right now and give them a break. Poor girls. I was afraid that might happen.

Thanks so much! She does want to sit on the eggs but we've been taking them... Not ready to expand the flock. I will separate them more officially right now and give them a break. Poor girls. I was afraid that might happen.
I have 2 broody ducks sitting on fake eggs I am not wanting to expand mine any more right now either.

So you have not only a duck wanting to be a broody but a moody duck as well. lol

Lol. I've seen those fake eggs at the store. How does that work? Do you just leave them in the duck house for them? Do they just give up on them after 28 days? Or do you take them away eventually?

Last edited:
Lol. I've seen those fake eggs at the store. How does that work? Do you just leave them in the duck house for them? Do they just give up on them after 28 days? Or do you take them away eventually?
I take their own eggs and usually just give them 2 fake eggs they are happy as larks.[This is when I know they are for sure broody] still have to check for that first week to make sure they haven't laid a real one or someone else hasn't slipped in there an added theirs. Then when their 35days[Muscovy] are up I take the fake eggs away while they are out they usually go back in for the rest of that day and sit but next day go on their merry way. Or that is how it was for my first broody of this year, we'll see on my 2nd she is due to end her broodiness end of this week.

Thanks! I'm going to give it a try!
1f604.png

Back
Top Bottom