Duck keeps running with tail down and laying down

FlockyFeathers

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2017
I have a 2 year old khaki Campbell that is running almost upright to the same spot and laying there with her bill to the ground while breathing quickly. Is she in the process of laying an egg? She laid one this morning and usually lays in the morning. What's going on with her? Any help is much appreciated!

No, I noticed her doing it from afar and by herself. She keeps going in and out of sleep it appears :( she just doesn't look well. Is this egg binding? I've looked it up but she doesn't seem to have all the symptoms that are outlined in some places.

Oh I just thought of this but does she have a pool? When we adopted our ducks they had never had a large amount of way to play in and developed a habit of chasing each other then stopping and laying down and then doing it over again in the exact same spot, mimicking what they'd do in the water.

Not sure if any sicknesses, unfortunately I'm a chicken keeper mainly our ducks where a spot or let them be killed scenario., so their wasn't a huge prep/learning curve involved, though if there's an e.g. binding you should be able to feel for it I believe. At least for chickens. Try to look up and see if you can find anything poisonous in your yard, We only had one poisoning case ever but they were crazy for hours before they went :( I haven't heard of a sickness that will cause such behavior but a plant might do it.

They've got a pool, and nobody else is exhibiting the behavior. She walks a few steps and then just collapses. It looks like she's straining to push something out. What would I feel for if it was egg binding? Is there a noticeable lump?

Back
Top Bottom