Duck laying at 5 months

duckcrazy

Songster
7 Years
Jul 22, 2012
I read that ducks should not start laying until they are 6 months old. Laying earlier can cause leg issues, small eggs (and they sure are small), and overall poor health down the road. Do I need to be concerned? Will my Campbell's eggs get a bit larger as time goes on? Is there anything I can do to discourage her from laying (I never use artificial light)?

I read that ducks should not start laying until they are 6 months old. Laying earlier can cause leg issues, small eggs (and they sure are small), and overall poor health down the road. Do I need to be concerned? Will my Campbell's eggs get a bit larger as time goes on? Is there anything I can do to discourage her from laying (I never use artificial light)?

Some breeds do start laying around 5 months probably most. so I wouldn't worry, just feed them a good quality feed either layer and still offer oyster shell on the side or an all flock with oyster shell on the side. and they all usually start out laying small eggs and the get bigger as they lay. once they start to lay I don't know of a thing you can do but enjoy those eggs.

Back
Top Bottom