Duck laying broken eggs?

Maisie01

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2021
North Florida
I have three females and for the past two months I’ve only been getting two eggs a day when I was getting three. About a month ago I noticed a egg shell in the coop away from the nest with no yolk( they could have ate it) but the other day I found another egg shell laying in the yard (free range). I’ve checked all my girls nothing wrong with vents no one’s acting different nothings changed. Could one possibly be laying broken eggs? It’s only happened twice and I’m not getting three eggs a day like I used too. I’ve tired to see who isn’t laying on the camera in to coop but it’s hard because it just take pictures with the motion. Thoughts ? Should I just keep one inside at a time to see who’s laying to find the one that isn’t?

What breeds are they? How old are they? If they are young how long have they been laying for? 2 months ago was it starting to get above 80 there at all?

Two different colored Swedish and a Rouen, I got them early November and I was told under a year, have been laying before I got them and the whole time since besides one of them went broody 6 months ago but hasn’t since and started laying again right after egg hatched( she abandoned the only one that hatched and I raised it inside part of the flock now) and I live in north Florida so it has been in the 80s for several months now we only had two freezes this year so hot pretty much the whole time I’ve had them

Two different colored Swedish and a Rouen, I got them early November and I was told under a year, have been laying before I got them and the whole time since besides one of them went broody 6 months ago but hasn’t since and started laying again right after egg hatched( she abandoned the only one that hatched and I raised it inside part of the flock now) and I live in north Florida so it has been in the 80s for several months now we only had two freezes this year so hot pretty much the whole time I’ve had them
If they are otherwise acting normal their breeds and the heat could both be factors. Once it tends to get hot out poultry in general will often start laying less. Both breeds only lay 140-180 eggs per year which leaves 185-225 days per year where it is perfectly normal not to get any eggs. As far as broken eggs go if it isn't a daily or even weekly occurrence I wouldn't be too worried. Also I don't know if they free range or not, but broken eggs can also be from skunks and opossums if they aren't kept in a secure run and coop 24/7.

If they are otherwise acting normal their breeds and the heat could both be factors. Once it tends to get hot out poultry in general will often start laying less. Both breeds only lay 140-180 eggs per year which leaves 185-225 days per year where it is perfectly normal not to get any eggs. As far as broken eggs go if it isn't a daily or even weekly occurrence I wouldn't be too worried. Also I don't know if they free range or not, but broken eggs can also be from skunks and opossums if they aren't kept in a secure run and coop 24/7.
They are free range during the day but all sides of the fences are guarded by different dogs so nothing coming in the yard unless it’s flying in. And it’s only been twice the whole two months I just haven’t been getting eggs from her that’s what I was worried about the other two are laying daily. But other then the egg everything is completely normal. It is getting hot now with the heat wave by the other two are laying fine. I’m just worried she won’t ever lay an egg again and if they are breaking I’m worried about infection.

Back
Top Bottom