Duck laying tiny soft eggs and acting a little 'off'

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickandduck1, Mar 13, 2017.

1. chickandduck1

chickandduck1 New Egg

Mar 13, 2017
    Hello! I've searched all around for advice and answers; apologies in advance for not finding a relevant thread if it already exists.

I have a female Cayuga duck who's around 15 months old. Until a couple of months ago she laid a perfect egg nearly every day. Recently, she's not laid any eggs at all. I attributed that to the winter months. In the last several weeks she's laid several tiny, soft eggs, and acts a little out of sorts. Still eats, but seems to walk slower and she's not nearly as vocal as usual. Feathers seem a bit fluffed. I have two ducks and two chickens and they eat layer feed (fortified with calcium), spinach, kale, bird seed and veggie scraps. They free range in our backyard all day. They have access to small koi pond.

Any duck wisdom anyone can pass on? Does she simply need more calcium?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Paige

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Paige, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! I have very limited knowledge of ducks but you might post in the Ducks Forum below - the folks their really know their quackers!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC - hope your duck is a-okay! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  3. chickandduck1

chickandduck1 New Egg

Mar 13, 2017
    Thank you so much! Such a newbie I am. And I'm also in Kansas (suburban KC)! I'll repost my question to the duck site. Thanks again.

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to the forum! I am fixing to celebrate my first year on here, and I have loved it so much, I hope you will too! There is tons of great info and friendly folks, so pull up a chair and make yourself at home! :frow

~Cuz

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I hope the members over on the duck forum can give you some advice.

Best wishes to you and your girl!

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Paige [​IMG] Welcome!

I too hope that the folks on the Duck Forum were able to assist.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope the duck folks can help you out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by