Duck, leg injury, urgent help needed

MotherDucker35

In the Brooder
May 27, 2020
Hi,
I have a pekin duck that is 10-11 wks. On may 11th when I fed everyone she was fine, I came back in 5 minutes later & she was limping badly & didn't want to stand on one leg. I tucked her into a nest box & gave her food & water which she ate well & kept her confined to rest it for the night. No change the next morning so I began my research journey. I will add that at the time of "injury" my 4yo son was in the pen giving treats & all of the birds were gathered around him. So the is the possiblity that she was stepped on as well. He didn't think he did though. I did not see any sign of a physical injury at the time. Over the next few days she also quit using her other foot as well and both feet started to curl & both legs started to splay. I quickly got some niacin powder & started supplementing her food. Spoke with the store clerk where I got her when I was picking up food & he told me all their ducklings and chicks are fed chick starter, not duck food so this is what got me thinking perosis maybe & not an injury at all? So we have been using the niacin since May 21st and making sure she doesn't have access to our chick food. She is kept separated from her mates with a fine fence so they're next to her but can't pick on her. She gets warm water therapy daily in the tub & supervised pool time with her mates as well as Epsom baths every other day. After the 2nd day of niacin, she started slightly paddling her legs in the water & it has gotten stronger daily & currently she paddles both feet strong but her legs are still splayed pretty far & she looks like a little paddle boat when she swims. Her feet have uncurled now & I've been trying to wrap her legs to line them up but she gets very frustrated & I can't tell if she's in pain from it or if she's just mad at me for doing it. After many frustrating attempts to keep them taped & lined up I finally came up with our current solution which is a soft scrunchie wrapped in a figure 8 around both legs. She tolerates it & it keeps her feet together under her while she's laying instead of out to the sides. I guess i'm looking for advice on how to handle, if im doing the right thing, does she ever have a shot at recovery, etc. All info is welcome & greatly appreciated!!!! We love our Beverly & will do what we can for her! I just don't want to prolong her discomfort, cause her additional pain, or anything else if this is something she will not recover from 🙁
Thank you a million times over for any helpful advice!
20200528_131137.jpg
20200528_131146.jpg
20200527_174045.jpg
20200527_174030.jpg
20200512_141105.jpg

I had the same issue with my Pekin girl, but she was a little bit younger. However it didn't get as bad as curled feet. She had bowed legs and refused to walk. We ace wrapped her legs and changed it every other day or whenever it got noticably dirty. I would suggest you do this as well, it would also help give extra support. For our chicks that get splayed legs we do the same thing, but we also use a strip of ace wrap to connect the two legs. I would continue with the swimming. How much niacin are you giving her? She may need more now that she's big.

I had the same issue with my Pekin girl, but she was a little bit younger. However it didn't get as bad as curled feet. She had bowed legs and refused to walk. We ace wrapped her legs and changed it every other day or whenever it got noticably dirty. I would suggest you do this as well, it would also help give extra support. For our chicks that get splayed legs we do the same thing, but we also use a strip of ace wrap to connect the two legs. I would continue with the swimming. How much niacin are you giving her? She may need more now that she's big.
The niacin dosage was tricky. The formula I got is 1G/ serving (so 1,000mg) so I divided 1 scoop into 10 equal parts to give her 100mg/ day on her food with some broccoli & sunflower seed sprinkles and she gobbles it right up.

I would give her more. I crushed up a 500mg tablet and would mix half of it in her water bowl and half in her food. I don't remember where I got my numbers from but that's what was recommended to me.

Another thing is, since I've been using the band on her legs, she will lay quietly with it on and her legs actually tucked under her like they should be but she will not eat and is very snappy at me (nipping) When they are not banded, she eats great and is extremely affectionate towards me. Thoughts? I'm wondering how long I should keep them on a day or can I give her breaks? I take them off for water time. This is day 3 of banding for us and I do see one leg appears to be migrating back into proper placement, she just hates having it on. Does this seem like normal behavior for anyone who has had to go through this? Ahhhh, my poor Bev!!

I would give her more. I crushed up a 500mg tablet and would mix half of it in her water bowl and half in her food. I don't remember where I got my numbers from but that's what was recommended to me.
Oh wow, I read 60-80 and figured she was larger due to age than is typical for this problem and upped it to 100. I personally have an almost immediate reaction to niacin and will get a bad "flush" with burning skin, etc and ive also read that too high of a dose can cause kidney failure and I certainly didn't want to cause the poor thing any more problems. Do you remember how long you gave that dose for? And did you notice any kind of reaction? Thank you for your info!

Hi @Isaac 0, I actually did read that! It's one of the few great sources I could find to get us on the right track. It just seems like a super slow process and I'm not even sure I'm helping right so it's pretty stressful right now. Especially since we are getting more and more attached to her as well and it's hard to think I'm causing her discomfort. How long do you think I should continue treatment? I would do anything I can for her but I also don't want to prolong discomfort if she doesn't have a shot at recovery. She is currently using her wings to propel herself and just a while ago after her bath she was using both hock at the same time to do a weak makeshift bunny hop along with her wings (which are getting raw on the bottom)...SO... I've wrapped her legs, then wrapped her wings and placed her on her back in a baby bather to get some rest by me. I don't want her to injure a wing as well, but I am at least a little encouraged that she is making some kind of attempt at mobility today for the first time in two weeks. She's sleeping sound right now. Also, she won't eat when her legs are wrapped but eats good when they aren't so, I'm wondering how long it's okay for her to take a break from the wraps without it causing harm by letting her legs splay out again? Thank you so much for reading all this, I know it's long winded! Pics following...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom