Duck, leg injury, urgent help needed

Current situation
20200528_181019.jpg
20200528_180954.jpg
20200528_180941.jpg

Hi @Isaac 0, I actually did read that! It's one of the few great sources I could find to get us on the right track. It just seems like a super slow process and I'm not even sure I'm helping right so it's pretty stressful right now. Especially since we are getting more and more attached to her as well and it's hard to think I'm causing her discomfort. How long do you think I should continue treatment? I would do anything I can for her but I also don't want to prolong discomfort if she doesn't have a shot at recovery. She is currently using her wings to propel herself and just a while ago after her bath she was using both hock at the same time to do a weak makeshift bunny hop along with her wings (which are getting raw on the bottom)...SO... I've wrapped her legs, then wrapped her wings and placed her on her back in a baby bather to get some rest by me. I don't want her to injure a wing as well, but I am at least a little encouraged that she is making some kind of attempt at mobility today for the first time in two weeks. She's sleeping sound right now. Also, she won't eat when her legs are wrapped but eats good when they aren't so, I'm wondering how long it's okay for her to take a break from the wraps without it causing harm by letting her legs splay out again? Thank you so much for reading all this, I know it's long winded! Pics following...

I'd probably figure out a different way of containing her since birds' lungs are located near their back it may make it hard for her to breathe if she's sitting like that all day. So what I would suggest, is starting her on B Complex Durvet Brand, you don't mention what dose you are giving it to her at, or what brand the niacin capsules are, but it does make me wonder if she is riboflavin deficient since there is noticeable curling of the toes which is a trademark sign of that, I'd give her 1ml of the complex a day orally or over treats, continue treatment, it may take a while since she is a bit older. Hobble her legs as needed, I would prefer that she be in a normal resting position placed in a dog kennel with soft bedding and allowed to bathe every day or so, supervised of course.

I'd probably figure out a different way of containing her since birds' lungs are located near their back it may make it hard for her to breathe if she's sitting like that all day. So what I would suggest, is starting her on B Complex Durvet Brand, you don't mention what dose you are giving it to her at, or what brand the niacin capsules are, but it does make me wonder if she is riboflavin deficient since there is noticeable curling of the toes which is a trademark sign of that, I'd give her 1ml of the complex a day orally or over treats, continue treatment, it may take a while since she is a bit older. Hobble her legs as needed, I would prefer that she be in a normal resting position placed in a dog kennel with soft bedding and allowed to bathe every day or so, supervised of course.
Good morning @Isaac 0,
I'll attach pics of the B3 supplement, I'm currently giving her 1/10 of a dose daily (100mg) on her food with some broccoli, a few sunflower seeds & some chickpeas. (I find this easier than guessing if she's getting it all in her water or wasting it) I'll also attach a pic of her food label. She is sleeping & spending her time alone in one of the duck houses but we have her buddies with her just separated by a fence. You'll see her legs in this pic as I took her wrap off for a few minutes so she would eat breakfast, she will not eat if she's wrapped & gets very snappy with me when she's usually very affectionate. Do you think im doing any harm giving her breaks to eat unwrapped while she's not in water? I don't want to give her legs a chance to migrate out more but I also want her to eat & be happy. Also, you are my duck hero right now, I really appreciate your information!!

Attachments

• 20200529_065810.jpg
    20200529_065810.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200529_065828.jpg
    20200529_065828.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200529_091907.jpg
    20200529_091907.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200529_091922.jpg
    20200529_091922.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200529_092016.jpg
    20200529_092016.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 4
Hey, sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. The niacin is great, but if this were also a riboflavin problem, the niacin wouldn't do much of anything to help her, any way you could pick up Durvet Liquid B Complex and give her 1ml a day? That contains most of the B vitamins associated with good leg health.

I would take the hobble off her legs a few times a day, she needs to exercise those legs, and water is a great way to do so. If you keep up the hobble, water therapy, and start her on the B complex she has a good shot at getting better, it'll just take longer since she is older.

I'll tag @Miss Lydia to see if she has any thoughts on this, and that way she'll be able to help in case I'm busy.

Thank you both! Today is the first day I'm unable to be there with her so I made her a nice nest in her box and left her mates in the pen for some company. I hobbled her legs with a soft ace wrap & hope a day of rest is good for her. They didn't have that specific durvet product but I did get her some durvet water additive packets that list riboflavin & have electrolytes & I'll order the B complex. I greatly appreciate the advice!

Best advise there is Liquid BComplex Durvet brand water therapy as often as you can and help her in an out and good feed which looks like she is getting and rest. She’s a doll 💓
So, the only Durvet B complex I can find anywhere is injectable...I'm doubting that is what you're recommending but I can't seem to find a similar product, I am giving her Durvet vitamin and electrolyte packs in her water as well as the B3 powder supplement on her food though. I'm really surprised to see her legs straightening and thickening up so much, they were so weak and her feet were just limp and curled when we started. Now her feet are nice and "open" and flattened out and she is using her wings and legs to "bunny hop" all over the lawn when I let her. Unfortunately she has developed quite an attitude in the last few days when she used to be so affectionate and now shes snappy, but I get it. She's been cooped up immobile for 4wks now and I'm sure she's frustrated. I'd be cranky too!! I see a little progress every day though, so we're not giving up yet! Just wanted to post an update in case anyone was wondering about her. We're still fighting over here! And as always, thanks for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom